Indian Health Service Dental Hygienist (PR5211) in Pine Ridge, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Pine Ridge, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Friday 9/16/2016 (39 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (66 day(s) away)
About the Agency
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-R5-GP-1576831-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Dental Department, Pine Ridge, South Dakota. * *Position reports to the Chief Dental Officer.
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicant who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
Cut-off dates will be established based on the date requests for List of Eligibles are received to fill other vacancies. 10 pt. Veterans' Preference ESEP applicants who submit a complete application after a Cut-off date but before the List of Eligibles is issued, will be considered and referred on the List, if qualified. 1st cut-off 10/14/16, 2nd cut-off 11/14/16, 3rd cut-off 12/13/16, and 4th cut-off 12/30/16.
- Serves as a dental hygienist responsible for performing advanced prophylactic and preventive dental procedures in the treatment of patients with related medical and dental problems.
- Completes preliminary dental examinations on new dental service patients. The Hygienist reviews patient's medical and dental history for evidence of past and present conditions such as medical illness and use of drugs, which may complicate or alter dental hygiene treatment; examines the teeth and surrounding tissue for evidence of plague and periodontal disease and chart findings; inspects the mouth and throat for evidence of disease such as oral cancer; interprets routine x-rays to identify tooth structures, calculus, and abnormalities such as cavities and deep periodontal pockets. Refers abnormalities such as cavities, traumatic occlusion, and suspicious lesions to the dentist, prepares dental hygiene treatment plans for patient including assessment of the problem, type of oral hygiene care required, and the sequence of appointments needed to complete treatment.
- Assists the dentist by making repairs and adjustments to the teeth by smoothing rough edges of restorations, removing overhanging margins of fillings, reduce sharp edges of fractured teeth, polishing and finishing amalgam restorations, and inserting temporary fillings in teeth.
- Instructs patients at chairside in oral hygiene, brushing and flossing techniques, and periodontal aids which increase the amount of stimulation to the teeth. Plans and adapts instructions in home care techniques, tailoring the to the oral hygiene needs and oral problems of individual patients. Explains to patients the causes of periodontal disease and tooth decay, and the importance of diet as it relates to oral and systemic health.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Education and Training:
Individual Occupational Requirements:
LICENSURE: Applicants for all grade levels and specializations must be currently licensed to practice as dental hygienists in a State or territory of the United States or the District of Columbia.
NOTE: Public Law 97-35 requires that persons who administer radiologic procedures meet the credentialing standards in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially, they must (l) have successfully completed an educational program that meets or exceeds the standards described in that regulation, and is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, and (2) be certified as radiographers in their field. The following meet these requirements:
Persons employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel prior to the effective date of the regulation (January 13, 1986) who show evidence of current or fully satisfactory performance or certification of such from a licensed practitioner such as a doctor of medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, podiatry, or chiropractic who prescribes radiologic procedures to others.
Persons first employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel after the effective date of the regulation who (a) received training from institutions in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not accredit training in that particular field at the time of graduation, or (b) practiced in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not license that particular field or did not allow special eligibility to take a licensure examination for those who did not graduate from an accredited educational program, provided that such persons show evidence of training, experience, and competence as determined by OPM or the employing agency.
EVALUATION OF EDUCATION: The academic curriculum in dental hygiene must have been accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation, American Dental Association.
EVALUATION OF EXPERIENCE: When combining experience and education, appropriate supplemental experience for entry level Community Health Dental Hygienist must have demonstrated the ability to:
Plan and direct group activities.
Organize, analyze, and evaluate data, draw conclusions, and make decisions or recommendations.
Express ideas and communicate information orally and in writing in a clear, logical, and motivating manner.
Demonstrate and/or present new ideas, techniques, and procedures.
Conduct meetings and present lectures.
Deal effectively with individuals and groups.
Examples of work that may have provided this experience include work as a teacher, recreation leader, or leader in a community or professional organization.
GS-7: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-6 grade level.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:* *Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular Knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled.
EXAMPLES OF SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:* *Qualifying experience for clinical dental hygienists includes experience in performing oral prophylactic care and in providing oral health educational services to patients. Additionally, at the higher grade levels, qualifying experience includes (1) performing advanced oral prophylactic, therapeutic, and preventive procedures in cases of periodontal diseases or inflammation or on patients with other medical or dental problems, (2) placing temporary fillings, and (3) finishing amalgam restorations. Applicants for positions involving the use of X-rays must have had experience in taking and interpreting X-rays. Qualifying experience for community health dental hygienists includes experience in preparing and conducting educational lectures and demonstrations on dental hygiene, planning public health programs, providing advice and policy guidance to dental personnel on public health matters, and recommending improved methods of dental hygiene.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, December 30, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- Drug testing is not required
- No housing available
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $39,570.00 to $51,437.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0682-07/07
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: "ANY UNITED STATES CITIZEN"
Control Number: 450773800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R3-GP-1664017-DE