Indian Health Service Nurse Practitioner ( Psychiatric), PR6307/PR9801 in Pine Ridge, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
2 vacancies in the following location:
- Pine Ridge, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 10/14/2016 (11 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 10/27/2016 (2 day(s) away)
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Behavioral Health Program, Pine Ridge, South Dakota. * *Position reports to the Clinical Director. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Direct Patient Care- 70%
- Assess a complete health and psychiatric history from the patient and/or family member. Performs a physical examination of the patient using palpation, percussion, auscultation, observation skills, using appropriate instruments.
- Orders and/or performs screening and diagnosis tests and procedures. Interprets test results and analyzes all collected data, discriminates between normal and abnormal findings to identify all stages of serious physical, emotional or emotional or mental health problems, and to prioritize health care needs.
- Performs mental status examinations on psychiatric patients, recognizes the major categories of psychiatric disorders, provides multi-axial diagnosis, determines appropriate level of care, and documents findings.
Medical Outreach Services- 20%
- Participates in the evaluation and assessment of mental health patients in a variety of settings as assigned by the Clinical Director, including schools and correctional settings.Recommends appropriate follow-up to patients and staff, making referrals when necessary.
Program Support/Professional Development - 10%
- Functions a s a team member of a dynamic multidisciplinary behavioral health team planning for patient care. Maintains and improves professional knowledge and skills by participating in seminars, accredited home study, in-services education and/or individualized preceptorship. Maintains current clinical competences through self-study.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Relocation expenses May Be Authorized and May Be Paid. You will be requried to sign a one -year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one-year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (One year of nursing experience as a military corpsman that has been accepted by a State licensing body may be accepted in lieu of education at the GS-4 level.)
Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse within 6 months of appointment. No person appointed pending registration may be retained beyond 6 months, or promoted, if registration has not been attained.
GS-12: One (1) Year of Experience equivalent to at least GS-11 grade level. In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
GS-12: One (1) Year of Specialized Experience in Psychiatric Nursing equivalent to the GS-11 grade level.
Specialized Experience: Knowledge and Experience with assessing and treatment of chemically dependent adults and adolescents, including withdrawal syndromes. Conducting suicide assessments and dispositions. Conducting cultural assessments, including levels of acculturation.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Thursday, October 27, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
- Drug testing is not required.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
- No Housing Available
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $80,731.00 to $99,361.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-12/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible or Schedule A or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 453430800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-GP-1824187-ESEP/MP