Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Critical Care Medicine) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Pittsburgh, PA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Friday 9/30/2016 (189 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 9/29/2017 (175 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1814176
Join us for an exciting career at VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System! The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has recently ranked VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System among the top 50 businesses to work for in western Pennsylvania.
As a full-time staff Physician (Critical Care Medicine) with VAPHS, your duties will include the following:
- The Critical Care Medicine Attending Physician will report to the Vice President for Critical Care and work with several colleagues who cumulatively comprise seven full-time attending physicians.
- The CCM Physician will work with the four ICU Nurse Managers, and the Associate Chief Nurse, who supervise the nursing and administrative staff.
- Clinical duties will include attending in the Surgical Intensive Care, Medical Intensive Care Unit and the Critical Care Unit.
- Candidate must have experience managing patients following CABG, liver, ECMO, and renal transplant and general surgery.
- Additional duties include compliance with all medical center policies and procedures and participation on medical center committees.
- Applicant must qualify for an academic appointment as Assistant or Associate Professor at University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and have participated in education related activities and demonstrate an interest in teaching.
- The physician will work closely with other departments and service lines including but not limited to Education, Surgical Services, Medicine, and Research.
- The physician may be required for night call.
Work Schedule:Monday - Friday 8:00 - 4:30
Work Location:University Drive Campus
Bargaining Unit:This is a Non-Bargaining Unit Position
Education Debt Reduction Program:No
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Must possess a full, unrestricted license to practice medicine.
- Must be a US Citizen.
Basic Requirements*: *
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
Preferred Experience: This position prefers professional board certification or board eligibility by the American Board of Critical Care Medicine.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard.* *This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to physically and mentally perform the duties of Vice President and Chief of Medical Services under normal and emergent conditions. Moderate lifting 15-44 lbs and over with assistive devices, heavy carrying of 15-44 lbs and over with assistive devices; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers, both hands required, walking or standing up to 4 hours per day; repeated bending up to 1-2 hours per day; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination; near vision correctable; hearing aid permitted. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019 http://vaww1.va.gov/ohrm/HRLibrary/Dir-Policy.htm
What To Expect Next
After we receive your application material, your experience will be reviewed to determine if you meet the basic qualifications of the position. The initial cut-off date is October 31, 2016 at which time a referral certificate will be sent to the selecting official and the every two weeks from the initial cut-off date and through the closing date of the announcement. Your will be notified via email when this decision has been made.
We will also review your application to make sure that your résumé supports the answers given in the questionnaire. If your résumé does not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. Once a determination has been made that you meet the minimum qualification, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified when your rating is determined.**
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA physician brochure.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.**
Salary Range: $220,000.00 to $260,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 451991700
Job Announcement Number: HP-646-17-TJH-1814176-SR