Indian Health Service Dietitian - Delegated Exam in Polacca, Arizona
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Polacca, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 10/17/2016 (7 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 10/28/2016 (4 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Dietitian for the Professional Services Division, Dietary Department located at the Hopi Health Care Center in Polacca, Arizona and reports to the Director, Professional Services. Dietitian will plan and conduct nutritional programs to assist in the promotion of health and control of disease.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-17-PX-1826418-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
- Monitor food service operations to ensure conformance to nutritional, safety, sanitation and quality standards.
- Assess nutritional needs, diet restrictions and current health plans to develop and implement dietary-care plans and provide nutritional counseling.
- Advise patients and their families on nutritional principles, dietary plans and diet modifications, and food selection and preparation.
- Counsel individuals and groups on basic rules of good nutrition, healthy eating habits, and nutrition monitoring to improve their quality of life.
- Consult with physicians and health care personnel to determine nutritional needs and diet restrictions of patient or client.
- Plan, conduct, and evaluate dietary, nutritional, and epidemiological research.
- Write research reports and other publications to document and communicate research findings.
- Manage quantity food service departments or clinical and community nutrition services.
- Coordinate diet counseling services.
- Not Required
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- SPECIFIC EDUCATION AND LICENSURE REQUIRED, See Qualifications.
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Degree: dietetics, food, nutrition, food service management, institution management, or related science. For dietitian positions, the curriculum must have been in accordance with the qualifying requirements established by The American Dietetic Association (ADA) in effect at the time of graduation.
Licensure: Registration with the Commission on Dietetic Registration in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below:
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector.
GS-09 Grade Level:
- One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 grade level. OR
- Two years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree.
- A combination of graduate education and specialized experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements
GS-11 Grade Level:
- One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 grade level. OR
- Three years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree. OR
- A combination of graduate education and specialized experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, October 28, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP):
The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/ For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/
Recruitment or Relocation Incentive may or may not be authorized and is subject to availability and service unit approval. If offered, you will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the service agreement will result in repayment of the incentive.
Government Housing is subject to availability and approval.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Selectees are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payments.
- May drive a U.S. Government vehicle and must have a valid, unrestricted driver's license.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $48,968.00 to $77,019.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0630-09/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453508200
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-PX-1826424-DE