Indian Health Service Nurse Practitioner - Direct Hire in Polacca, Arizona
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Polacca, AZ
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 10/3/2016 (24 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 11/10/2016 (14 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Announcement Amended to update General Schedule Increases effective January 10, 2016 and Relocation Expenses.
This is a Direct Hire Open Continuous Announcement (OCA) for a permanent Full-Time Nurse Practitioner for the Clinical Services Division located at the Hopi Health Care Center in Polacca, Arizona. Qualified candidates with a complete application will be considered for current or future vacancies as they occur. Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applications do not apply to this vacancy announcement.
THIS POSITION IS BEING RE-ADVERTISED TO SOLICIT ADDITIONAL APPLICATIONS. APPLICANTS WHO APPLIED PREVIOUSLY NEED NOT REAPPLY UNLESS SUBMITTING UPDATED AND/OR MISSING INFORMATION.
Who May Be Considered: Citizens of the United States, Competitive Service federal employees, Commissioned Corps Officers of the U.S. Public Health Service, and eligible Indian Preference candidates.
Incentive: Recruitment or Relocation Incentive may or may not be authorized and is subject to availability and service unit approval. If offered, you will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the service agreement will result in repayment of the incentive.
Government Housing: Is subject to availability and approval.
Period of Eligibility: Applicants will remain eligible for three (3) months from the time the application is received.
GS-09: $57,093 - $69,936
GS-11: $69,081 - $84,624
GS-12: $80,731 - $99,361
- Order, perform, or interpret the results of diagnostic tests.
- Analyze and interpret patients' histories, symptoms, physical findings, or diagnostic information to develop appropriate diagnoses.
- Develop treatment plans based on scientific rationale, standards of care, and professional practice guidelines.
- Diagnose or treat acute health care problems such as illnesses, infections, and injuries.
- Prescribe medications based on efficacy, safety, dosage and frequencies.
- Counsel patients about drug regimen and possible side effects or interactions with other substances such as food supplements, over-the-counter (OTC) medications, and herbal remedies.
- Recommend interventions to modify behavior associated with health risks.
- Educate patients about self-management of acute or chronic illnesses, tailoring instructions to patients' individual circumstances.
- Not Required
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- SPECIFIC EDUCATION AND LICENSURE REQUIRED, See Qualifications
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT(S): All Nurse Practitioners must meet all three of the following basic requirements:
Degree: Graduation from a professional Nurse Practitioner educational program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed. A Masters in Nurse Practitioner is preferred.
Licensure: Active, current registration as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) or equivalent from a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or the territory of the United States.
Certification: Current certification in a Nurse Practitioner specialty from a U.S. nationally recognized credentialing body such as the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) as required by the Indian Health Service Policy on Licensure of Health Care Providers.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below:
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector. Nurse Practitioners must meet the following requirements for the GS-09 grade level and above.
GS-09 Grade Level:
- Completion of a Master of Nurse Practitioner educational program; or
- Completion of a professional Nurse Practitioner educational program AND 1 full year of work experience as a certified Nurse Practitioner equivalent to the GS-07 level providing advanced nursing services to patients under the supervision of a physician. Assignments at this level are generally developmental for new Nurse Practitioner graduates.
GS-11 Grade Level:
- Completion of a Doctor of Nurse Practitioner educational program; or
- Completion of a professional Nurse Practitioner educational program AND 1 full year of work experience as a certified Nurse Practitioner equivalent to the GS-09 level providing providing primary and/or specialty care to individuals, families or groups. Assignments at this level are progressively more difficult, in order to expand diagnostic and therapeutic skills, with supervisor or senior employee providing assistance on unusual problems.
GS-12 Grade Level:
- Completion of a professional Nurse Practitioner educational program AND 1 full year of work experience as a certified Nurse Practitioner equivalent to the GS-11 level serving as an independent practitioner providing comprehensive primary and/or specialty care for patients. Examples of qualifying experience may include: taking case histories, conducting physical examinations, and ordering laboratory studies during clinic visits. May carry out special procedures such as giving injections or other medication, apply or change dressing, perform lumbar punctures, or suture minor lacerations.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels for which both education and experience are acceptable.
New Graduates: Applications will be accepted from applicants who are in their final year of their Master or Doctoral-level Nurse Practitioner program and expected to obtain the appropriate licensure and national certification within the next 6 months. Such applicants are required to provide evidence of meeting all position requirements before they can enter on duty.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Thursday, November 10, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Selectees are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payments.
- May drive a U.S. Government vehicle and must have a valid, unrestricted driver's license.
- Required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $99,361.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 452385500
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R1-PX-1532721-DHA