Washington State DSHS Social Service Specialist in Port Angeles, Washington
Do you want to help Families and Communities safely care for their children?
Prevention is the best hope for reducing child abuse and neglect and improving the lives of children and families. Strengthening families and preventing child abuse requires a shared commitment of individuals and organizations in every community.
This job focuses on establishing meaningful relationships with families and the communities around them. It empowers families to contribute to their own solutions and success. It is essentially the core of preventive social services.
Children's Administration is currently recruiting for multiple dynamic, motivated, and culturally competent Child and Family Welfare Social Service Specialists with the Port Angeles Division of Children and Family Services office, located in Port Angeles, Washington.
On a Regular Basis You'll
- Ensure timely permanency outcomes for all children in a caseload to include reunification, adoptions, guardianship and third party custody plans. Engages in critical thinking through shared decision making and case planning and protects children from any indicated risk.
- Develop effective partnerships with families, service providers and others to address primary safety and risk concerns through cultural competency and strength based communication.
- Use Motivational Interviewing techniques with children and parents to gather information and build rapport with families.
- Identify root circumstances within the family that led to the department referral and assist the family in addressing them as needed.
- Help the family to identify cycles of maltreatment and utilize relapse prevention techniques.
- Develop and update co-constructed plans with the family that target the primary area of safety and other child needs.
- Develop skill-based individual and family level objectives.
- Assess safety and risk throughout the case and take additional action when needed to meet the needs of child safety, permanency and well-being.
- Recognize and document incremental progress made by the family towards meeting the identified objectives/goals.
Here's What We're Looking For:
Bachelor's Degree and two years of paid social service experience, or a Master's Degree and one year of paid social service experience. A practicum will be substituted for the one year of paid social service experience. The degree must be in social services, human services, behavioral science or an allied field.
NOTE: Selected applicants may be required to complete an In-Training Plan in order to meet experience required for this job class. Selected applicants must complete an 8 week formal training sponsored by DSHS at the time of hire. Additional mandatory trainings must be completed within the first year.
This recruitment has been extended. If you have previously applied it is not required to apply again. Screening of application materials will be ongoing and he hiring manager reserves the right to interview and possibly offer this position to a qualified applicant before the actual closing date. It is in the applicant's best interest to apply as soon as possible.
Initial screening will be solely based on the completeness of application materials submitted and the contents and completeness of the Work Experience section of your application. A resume will not substitute for the Work Experience section of the application.
Click HERE for additional information about Children's Administration and to see brief interviews with actual workers.
For questions about this job ad, please contact the Assistant Recruiter, Brenda Fitzpatrick at (509) 363-5032 or firstname.lastname@example.org and and reference #07157. #QL13E #SH83E
Some jobs may require full criminal background check. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at (360) 725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-07157 QL13E SH83E
Department: Dept. of Social and Health Services
Closing: 11/1/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $3,563.00 - $4,791.00 Monthly
Location: Clallam County - Port Angeles, WA