Columbia Sportswear Company Apparel Quality Engineer, Manager in Portland, Oregon
Apparel Quality Engineer, Manager
United States, Oregon, Portland
100001UY Requisition #
Sep 13, 2016 Post Date
Columbia Sportswear Company isa portfolio of Brands for active lives. From our flagship Columbia Brand to Mountain Hardwear, prAna and eventhe SOREL Brand….we are all about making products that get people closer totheir passions.
So if you have a passion forall things active, we might have the right role for you. If you craveadventure, innovation, quality and – best of all – fun, this is where youbelong. If you’re already reaching for your resume – good. Apply for a career with Columbia Sportswear Companytoday.
TheApparel Quality Engineering Manager will lead and coach a team of Quality Engineersas they ensure Columbia Sportswear Company Apparel and Accessory products meetor exceed customer, consumer, and regulatory requirements through theapplication of prevention based quality tools. This individual will be responsible for the technical strategy of deliveringfirst time right methodologies upstream in the commercialization cycle. This level of leadership spans across ColumbiaSportswear Company and its brands from concept across to consumerexperience. The role will foster ideageneration, cultivation of pilot programs and ultimately the widespreaddeployment of countermeasures that are to deliver a high degree of riskmanagement.
- Lead a team and set team strategy/individual goals thatalign with department and functional goals.
- You’ll coach staff, create opportunities for development, make hiring decisionsand drive performance management recognition and rewards.
- This position also develops team structurethat facilitates and maximizes individual and team goals.
- Set strategic organizational planning for the GlobalQuality Engineering team as well as operational direction.
- Create detailed plans to accomplish goals,gain management support, and communicate to global stakeholders and brands.
- Communicate Columbia, Manufacturing, and Qualitydepartment strategy and business objectives to the home office QualityEngineering department.
- Partner with Liaison Office team’s functional leaders bylending support with a diverse skillset of planning, analytics, strategicthought leadership and communication.
- Manage additional projects and duties as assigned by GlobalQuality Director.
- Maintain positive open lines of communication with allColumbia Sportswear management, staff and other departments in order tocontribute to the smooth flow of information and efficient operation of theorganization.
- Advanced experience in the use of Quality ManufacturingTools and Apparel Factory Manufacturing practices.
- Three years sewing machine experience
- Experienceworking with a multi-brand, global enterprise within an Apparel or ProductManufacturing environment.
- Agilityto flex between strategic and tactical initiatives.
- Role model forCorporate values
- Advanced written andverbal communication skills and strong conceptual skills
- Advanced analyticaland problem solving skills
- Demonstratedtechnical proficiency, including MS Office systems and Adobe Illustrator
- Experience advisingand presenting to senior level management
- Excellent team playerand ability to coach others
- Excellentorganizational skills and attention to detail required
- High level ofproficiency to read, write, and speak English.
- Skilled in workingwhen ambiguity exists.
- Ability to travelapproximately 10% out of the calendar year. Able to travel internationally and be away from home-office for two weekperiods.
- Bachelor Degree orabove in Apparel Design/Development or Quality Engineering or related fieldexperience.
- 5-7years relevant experience within apparel quality functions and/or apparelmanufacturing, ability to sew considered a plus.
- Experiencein a multinational environment with the skill set to effectively communicateand influence various levels within a matrix structure
- 2years Supervisory or related leadership experience.
- Job requires hoursthat may occasionally exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week duringtimes of peak activity.
- Evening meetings and/or weekend work occasionallyrequired to collaborate with people in other time zones and to ensure timelyproject completion.
- Some job pressure exists in the balancing of severalprojects with conflicting and sometimes changing deadlines.
- The ability to sitfor extended periods and to bend, kneel, and stoop.
- Ability to operatetelephones and computer hardware and software, including keyboard and 10-key.
- Physical capability to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds. Exposure to acomputer CRT.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list ofduties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of theposition's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Gender/Age .