Columbia Sportswear Company Area Manager – NorCal / LA Basin in Portland, Oregon
Area Manager – NorCal / LA Basin
United States, Oregon, Portland
100001QL Requisition #
Jun 30, 2016 Post Date
Columbia Sportswear Company isa portfolio of Brands for active lives. From our flagship Columbia Brand to Mountain Hardwear, Montrail and eventhe SOREL Brand….we are all about making products that get people closer totheir passions.
So if you have a passion forall things active, we might have the right role for you. If you craveadventure, innovation, quality and – best of all – fun, this is where youbelong. If you’re already reaching for your resume – good. Apply for a career with Columbia SportswearCompany today.
The Area Manager is a motivator andpartner, leading and directing Store Managers and developing talent, ensuringcreation of a dynamic buying environment, while meeting financial performanceand KPI goals. The Area Manager managessales and operations for assigned number of stores within a specific geographicarea which includes: providing leadership to Store Managers in attracting,developing and retaining quality staff, maintaining an exemplary customer buyingenvironment, handling human resource issues, controlling expenses, accountingand payroll budgets and other related store operations. The Area Managerensuresthat appropriate channels of communication exist between the area stores,Regional Manager as well as various business partners. The Area Managermaintains a highly visible presence in assigned stores and assists in resolvingissues in a timely and optimally productive manner, and must use soundjudgement to determine the best possible outcome in sometimes ambiguoussituations. The Area Manager will beresponsible for leading Store Leaders and cascading the Columbia mission of“Connecting Active People With Their Passions” through coaching, execution andaccountability.
Job includes some variety, such as assisting in promotions developed,merchandise purchased, and the store locations supported. Duties areperformed with only general directions and work is checked or verified more byresults. Decisions are made within general company policy constraints.Errors in judgment could negatively impact the sales of product through theoutlet and flagship stores.
This role will be based in the NorCal or LA Basin area.
- Consult with Regional Manager on performanceof assigned stores.
- Perform regular store visits to assignedstores.
- Provide guidance to ensure budget, financial goals and expense targets are met. Manage and maintain weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting and forecasting by store in area.
- Review operational reports and records to ensure adherence to Company policies and procedures, monitor store profitability.
- Develop productive partnership with the merchant team regarding inventory, margins, liquidation, and understanding needs of stores. Assist in implementing and managing the inventory levels within the stores.
- Assist in the recruitment and hiring of themost qualified managers, key holders and staff to meet the stores’ needs.Ensure proper hiring tools and training are utilized.
- Assist with new store openings and/or storeclosures as needed.
- Possess in-depth understanding of the marketto maintain competitive awareness by continuously monitoring the competition inassigned area.
- Serve as Change Agentin implementation of new processes, policies or procedures; partner withRegional Manager, business leaders and/or store management teamstoimplement change.
- Partner with store management teams to maintain our brand image through store appearance and strong execution of merchandising and marketing initiatives.
- Set key sales, operational and human capitalmanagement goals and expectations and ensure those standards are met throughproactive coaching and developing staff.
- Train, motivate, encourage and provideconstructive guidance to store managers and teams related to all areas ofeffective store operations. Provide storemanagement team with a fun, supportive environment.
- Empower teams to solve problems that affect the store’s service, efficiency, and productivity.
- Work closely with Regional Manager to recommend strategies to merchant teams on sales promotion activities and pricing of merchandise.
- Review preparation of merchandise placement and displays.
- When visiting stores, provide oversight regarding operational excellence (e.g., review LP audit notes, safety committee meeting minutes to ensure safety standards are being met.) Partner with Store Managers to ensure that adequate security exists and that physical facilities comply with safety and environmental codes and ordinances.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Contacts are made with others both inside and outside the organization.
- Internal contacts frequently include the Retail Admin team, Store Manager, Regional Manager, Store Staff, Product Merchandise team, Safety and Security, HR team and other team members as needed.
- External contacts frequently include customers and vendors.
- Contacts often include sensitive or confidential information.
- Incumbent often initiates communication on his/her own through various means including phone, email, and face-to-face interaction.
- Ability to conduct interpersonal interactions with customers and company personnel, provide coaching and mentoring to staff, troubleshoot, solve problems and make decisions in partnership with Store Management, operate independently and with discretion, and work effectively under pressure.
- Effective management of remote teams. Prompt response/return of phone calls, emails and requests for information or assistance.
- Skill in operating personal computers, POS systems and various software packages including Microsoft Word and Excel are needed.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Bachelor’s degree, applicable certification or equivalent experiencerequired.
- Minimum of 3 years store management experiencerequired; 5+ years of retail management experience is preferred.
- Complex and/or high volume departmental or multi-unit/site management required.
- Job requires hours that exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week.
- Job pressure of continually developing new creative ideas and dealingwith multiple locations exists.
- Ability to work a full time schedule including nights, weekends andholidays exists.
- Travel by airline and auto, domestically, estimated 50% plus of time.Overnight travel is required; including occasional weekend travel.
- Physical requirements include the ability to use telephone, computerizedsystems; perform repetitive movements of the arms and shoulders, stand forextended periods of time up to 8 hours per day, move freely around store, bend,twist, reach, squat, climb a ladder and regularly lift/carry up to 40 pounds.
This job description is not meant to be anall-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definitionof the position's scope and function in the company.