Columbia Sportswear Company Senior Director of Retail Business Applications in Portland, Oregon
Senior Director of Retail Business Applications
United States, Oregon, Portland
100001XZ Requisition #
Aug 26, 2016 Post Date
Columbia Sportswear Company isa portfolio of Brands for active lives. From our flagship Columbia Brand to Mountain Hardwear, prAna and eventhe SOREL Brand….we are all about making products that get people closer totheir passions.
So if you have a passion forall things active, we might have the right role for you. If you craveadventure, innovation, quality and – best of all – fun, this is where youbelong. If you’re already reaching for your resume – good. Apply for a career with Columbia Sportswear Companytoday.
This position is a seniormanagement role in the Global Information Services group. It is responsible for management on a Globalbasis for our Direct to Consumer business applications, systems and processes. This includes all solutions for our brick andmortar Retail stores across Columbia Sportswear and the processes andintegration between our E-commerce web store and our fulfilment via our Retail,ERP and Distribution Systems. Thisgenerally entails all our Retail systems along with new store openings andstore support.
This person must be a senior, proven leader who can manage multiple teams thatare supporting the current business applications, and review and drive newsolutions as we move forward with our Global Direct to Consumer business. The scope of these activities include: MerchandisingFunctions, Sales Audit, Point of Sale, Inventory Management and Reporting. They should employ superior leadership skillsto maintain and develop the teams and cultivate a partnership approach with theColumbia Sportswear business leadership across all retail systems globally.
Job involves a highdegree of complexity in performing new and/or varied work situations on aglobal basis. Job requires strongStrategic capabilities coupled with the ability to operationalize and executeeffectively. The majority of the workrequires independent thought, creativity, and innovation. With global responsibilities, ability to workeffectively across cultural and operational differences is critical.
- Develop, manage and executedirect-to-consumer Information Technology strategy in alignment with businessgoals and objectives.
- Position will be responsible formanaging the long-term direct-to-consumer roadmap. That includes effectively leading andmanaging the selection of the IT tools and their subsequent implementation in supportof the Columbia direct-to-consumer businesses.
- Develop an applications and processstrategy for the Global Retail organization including a variety of storeformats (standalone, shop-in-shop, branded, outlet, etc.), store ownershipstructures (wholly owned, partner, franchise, etc.), and direct to consumermodels (physical stores and E-commerce/virtual stores)
- Provide effective communication andpartnership with Senior Leadership, Project Sponsors, and multiple SteeringCommittees on a Global basis (US, Canada, Europe, Japan, Korea and China)
- Manage and coordinate closely theprioritization and scope of all changes considered and moved forward on the Retailand E-commerce systems and processes globally
- Oversee integrated projectmanagement plans, manage deadlines and dependencies across concurrent approvedproject initiatives, and coordinate project team activities globally
- Define and agree on deliverables andmilestones of approved projects and changes
- Set and control scope of multipleapproved projects and support
- Monitor change management and avertnegative consequences
- Communicate status and vision toclient management and stakeholders across the world
- Project estimation skills andexperience, and the ability to then work with other resource managers toidentify appropriate resources and manage their integration into the team
- Overall global team management,including regular evaluations of all staff
- Risk management
- Management of business analysts,project managers, team leads, and other technical resources
- In-depth knowledge and understandingof retail and e-commerce business processes
- Create effective partnerships with other business and technologymanagers
- Direct the Business Analysts and ProjectManagers to achieve goals within available resources and budgets. Organize workloads and staff assignments;train and motivate staff; review progress and direct changes as needed
- Work closely with all business partners aroundthe globe to ensure their satisfaction with support
- Maintain positive open lines of communication with all Columbia Sportswear management, staff and other departments to contribute to the smooth flow of information and efficient operation of the organization
- Evaluate software and hardware solutions
- Manage external resources, including vendor negotiations, contract negotiations, and vendor selection processes
- Manage departmental budget, authorize expenditures and monitor results
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Contactsare normally made with others within the Company. Contacts concern issuesrequiring explanation, discussion, interpretation or approvals.
- Interactionsinvolve information exchanges of a somewhat complex and/or technical nature,problem solving, troubleshooting, etc.
- Contactsfrequently concern information that is confidential or sensitive and areusually made with individuals in other departments.
- Worktime is spent with others or alone.
- Contactsare generally made on own initiative, at supervisor’s request, or the requestof others in the department.
- Has full supervisory responsibility for multiple Business Analyst,Project Manager, and Team Leads, as well as assigned contract resources basedin the US. Has dotted lineresponsibilities over teams and efforts around Retail outside of the US inEurope and Asia, but over time these dotted lines will become more solid linesas we consolidate our processes and systems around the world.
- Work requires independent thought,creativity, and innovation which may occasionally require performing dutiesbeyond established guidelines.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, MBA preferred.
- 18+ years of progressively increasing Business Systems Analysis, Project Management, and IS Leadership and Management experience in a complex, global environment.
- Hands on working knowledge of brick and mortar retail and E-commerce retail on a global basis (North America, Europe and Asia).
- Demonstrated ability to foster strong and effective relationships with demonstrated ability to positively influence people at all levels in the organization.
- Possess strong organizational, written and oral communication skills. Requires advanced ability to read, write, and speak English. Work often requires reading and writing in technical or complex areas. The ability to effectively manage competing projects/problems is important. Must effectively deal with work and time pressure in the efficient and effective accomplishment of job requirements.
- Be a strong leader, manager and organizer; employ a participative style that emphasizes team building; possess strong communication skills and the ability to attract flexible associates who enthusiastically "partner" with others as projects dictate.
- Be proactive, results-oriented, possess outstanding follow-up skills, possess a strong work ethic, a high sense of urgency, and have the drive necessary to be successful in a dynamic, high performance environment.
- Solid knowledge of Retail processes and systems sufficient to be credible and influential with senior management and vendors.
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills and attention to detail required. Mental ability to conduct interpersonal interactions with senior management, vendors and other employees. Ability to operate independently and follow general guidelines.
- Highly developed analytical skills are required for this position as well as an ability to convey these thoughts verbally. Ability to work effectively under pressure during peak operating periods. Physical ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time. Physical ability to walk, bend, stoop, kneel, and occasionally lift up to 20 pounds. Ability to operate a computer keyboard. Ability to move freely throughout the department and building.
- Demonstrated strategic leadership abilities.
- Demonstrated successful project and program management.
- Process improvement leadership.
- Job requires hours that may occasionally exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week.
- Evening meetings or weekend work occasionally occur. Position may require on call status.
- Travel up to 25% on a global basis required.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Gender/Age .