Indian Health Service Dental Officer (Open Cont.) in Rapid City, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Rapid City, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 7/12/2016 (226 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 7/11/2017 (138 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-GP-1749653-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered for each announcement.
This position is the Dental Officer at the Rapid City Indian Health Service, Rapid City, South Dakota.
- Independently examine, diagnose, and treat commonly encountered dental diseases or dental health problems.
- Diagnose mal-occlusions, and pathological or irregular conditions and ensure proper referral of patients for evaluation or specialty care.
- Provide all appropriate dental disease prevention measures for each patient treated.
- Ensure appropriate medical records are maintained and updated in a timely manner.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of public relations with other health disciplines and tribal health groups, as well as the community.
- Communicate effectively with patients and families with multiple dental and health problems and of different backgrounds.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- A Current Unrestricted Professional License is required (Submit Copy).
- ### Qualifications
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): Degree in dental surgery (D.D.S.) or dental medicine (D.M.D.) from a school approved by the Council on Dental Education, American Dental Association (ADA); or other dental school, provided the education and knowledge acquired was substantially equivalent to that of graduates from an ADA-approved school. Licensure: Applicants must be currently licensed to practice dentistry in a State, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico.
Applicants who meet the basic requirements qualify for GS-11. The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
This position has a positive education requirement. A copy of transcripts is required during the application process. Official transcripts will be required after the selection and before the Enter on Duty date if you are selected.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Tuesday, July 11, 2017
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Position subject to alternative work schedule, rotating shifts and nights/weekends/holidays.
- Position is covered by PL 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
- Period of Eligibility: Applicants will remain eligible for three (3) months from the time the application is received. To remain in active status for positions announced under this open continuous announcement, ensure you keep you application information updated. Failure to keep information updated will result in "expired application" status and you will no longer be considered for future openings under this announcement.
- This is an Open Continuous Announcement. As positions are available, certificates of eligible will be issued to the Selecting Official on a bi-weekly basis. Please ensure applications are complete to receive full consideration
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $98,967.00 to $215,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0680-11/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: "ANY US CITIZEN"
Control Number: 444401900
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1749654-DE