Indian Health Service Medical Instrument Technician (RC99P2) in Rapid City, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Rapid City, SD
Work Schedule is Part Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 7/18/2016 (98 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (68 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-GP-1752602-ESEP/MP VA number++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered for each announcement.
This position is the Medical Instrument Technician for the Radiology Department at the Rapid City Indian Health Service, Rapid City, South Dakota. Incumbent will report to the Supervisory Radiology Technologist.
- Responsible for the accuracy, precision, quality and performance of screening, diagnostic and invasive sonography.
- Responsible for follow-up of abnormal sonograms and tracking of abnormal results.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with appropriate agencies, individuals and other public of private groups concerned with breast cancer prevention and control.
- Maintains appropriate databases for the planning, development and evaluation of a comprehensive sonography system. Orders and maintains supplies.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Position subject to Level V Background clearance including credit check.
- A current, valid, unrestricted ARDMS license must be maintained.
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Experience and education requirements. The following shows the amounts of education and/or experience required to qualify for positions covered by this standard. GS-05:1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-04 grade level OR 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree with courses related to the occupation. To qualify based on specialized experience for GS-05 level you must have one year of experience (equivalent to the GS-4 grade level that included duties such as: Using basic instruments and diagnostic or treatment procedures; position patients for examination or treatment; and use basic medical terminology commonly used in the specialization. GS-06:1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-05 grade level To qualify based on specialized experience for GS-06 level you must have one year of experience (equivalent to the GS-5 grade level that included duties such as: Perform routine diagnostic or treatment procedures; position patients for examination or treatment; and use advanced medical terminology commonly used in the specialization. GS-07:1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-06 grade level To qualify based on specialized experience for GS-07 level you must have one year of experience (equivalent to the GS-6 grade level that included duties such as: Perform specific diagnostic or treatment procedures; recognize the existence of and differences among a few easily recognizable alternatives to position patients for examination or treatment; and use advanced medical terminology commonly used in the specialization. GS-08:1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-07 grade level. To qualify based on specialized experience for GS-08 level, you must have one year of experience (equivalent to the GS-7 grade level that included duties such as: Operate and/or instructing in the operation of equipment; performing routine and standard diagnostic or treatment procedures, patient instructions, and instrument cleaning and maintenance; adapt the instrument to the patient and/or select procedures based on patients' physical condition; and respond to emergencies and make recommendations to physicians based on observation of patients' responses. Specialized Experience: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level. Selective Placement Factor:Must submit a Professional Certification as a Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS) by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) OR by the American Registry of Radiology Technologist (ARRT) in Ultrasound.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
This position has promotion potential to the GS-08 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Government housing is not available.
- Position may be subject to alternate work schedule, rotating shifts, call back and nights/weekends/holidays schedule.
- Position is covered by PL 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $35,798.00 to $58,151.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0649-05/08
Promotion Potential: 08
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: ANY US CITIZEN MAY APPLY
Control Number: 444978600
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1752604-DE