Indian Health Service Medical Officer (FP, PC, IM, Peds) (Open Cont.) in Rapid City, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Rapid City, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 8/30/2016 (220 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 8/29/2017 (144 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The purpose of this position is to perform as a Medical Officer in providing comprehensive clinical medical care (educative, preventive, curative, rehabilitative) in an inpatient/outpatient setting at the Rapid City Indian Health Service Hospital, Rapid City, South Dakota. The incumbent reports to the Supervisory Medical Officer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-GP-1787642-ESEP/MP++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered for each announcement.
This is an Open Continuous Job Opportunity Announcement. Eligible applicants will be referred to the Selecting Official on a bi-weekly basis as long as there is a vacancy. Please ensure applications are complete before the cut-off dates to receive full consideration.
Period of Eligibility: Applicants will remain eligible for three (3) months from the time the application is received. To remain in active status for positions announced under this open continuous announcement, ensure you keep you application information updated. Failure to keep information updated will result in "expired application" status and you will no longer be considered for future openings.
DIRECT HIRING AUTHORITY ANNOUNCEMENT: These positions are being filled through Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hiring Authority (DHA). The "Direct Hiring Authority" has been authorized by Homeland Security Act of 2002 and Part 337, Subpart B, Title 5 code of the Code of Federal Regulations (5 CFR). IF filled utilizing DHA, the following is applicable: All applicant(s) who meet the basic qualifications requirements will be forwarded to the "Selecting Official" for consideration. The rule of three, 1) Veteran(s) Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants, do not apply to the Direct Hire process. 2) Indian Preference does apply. For application information please see the Public Notice.
- Serves as a Medical Officer by performing diagnosis, prevention, therapy, maintenance and rehabilitation of patients of all ages for the patients seen at the Rapid City IHS Inpatient/Outpatient Clinic.
- Attends the beneficiaries of the Rapid City IHS in the Inpatient/Outpatient facilities assigned. Visits assigned inpatients and records their progress in their medical record on a daily basis when the position includes inpatient duties.
- Communicates effectively with patients and families with multiple health problems and of different backgrounds.
- Educates individuals in the nature of health related conditions recommended and in the general promotion of health and the prevention of disease.
- Ensures appropriate medical records are maintained and updated.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- A Current Unrestricted Professional License is required (Submit Copy).
- Position subject to Level V Background clearance including credit check.
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Basic Requirements A-C: A. A Doctorate Degree in Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicants graduation. [A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).] Must submit official or unofficial copy of transcripts (official transcripts must be provided before EOD) showing doctorate degree conferred. If applicable, must supply ECFMG or fifth pathway certificate. AND B. Medical License: A current, non-temporary, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. AND
C. Residency: Four (4) years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent Specialized experience and training.
Specialized Experience is considered experience independently performing in-depth care of patients by examining, diagnosing, and treating patients in an Inpatient/Outpatient setting. (You must provide clear documentation in your application of how you meet this qualification requirement, including any necessary transcripts, certificates, licenses, diplomas, etc.). The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Tuesday, August 29, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
- Government housing is not available.
- Position may be subject to alternate work schedule, rotating shifts, call back and nights/weekends/holidays schedule.
- Position is covered by PL 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position.
- No promotion potential.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $98,967.00 to $215,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0602-14/14
Promotion Potential: 14
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: ANY US CITIZEN
Control Number: 449225800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1787643-DHA