IMVU Senior Data Scientist in Redwood City, California
Senior Data Scientist
Redwood City, CA
You are GREAT at doing this:
• Develop statistical models and analytical processes with a passion to support business results. Matching statistical rigor to business problems using well developed knowledge and appreciation of the eCommerce business.
• Able to function with minimal oversight and guidance even with stringent deadlines.
• Show strong commitment to enable stakeholders succeed in making data based decisions. Provide analytical support to marketing, finance, product development, fraud, customer service, engineering and operations.
• Be effective at "data storytelling", writing concise and highly visual reports, and delivering highly compelling business presentations.
• Leverage statistical computing tools for data visualization, sampling, analysis, model selection, calculated variance, significance testing, etc.
• Understand a consumer-focused web, mobile and native software business, delivering insights and opportunities for optimization.
• Leverage a variety of open source frameworks for large scale data management and distributing processing; work with large volumes of data despite hardware, software, and bandwidth constraints; then clean that data and verify that it is consistent.
• Work with data in HDFS, HIVE, Spark, and MySQL.
• Automate ETL of data and verify consistency.
• Utilize data to draft concise and highly visual reports as well as compelling business presentations.
• Collaborate with Engineering team, working in a continuous deployment environment to deploy automated systems.
• Mentor team mates
• Graduate degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Biostatistics, Computer Science or physical engineering -- or equivalent work experience.
• 3+ years’ experience in a data science role (aka analytics, data insights, database marketing, CRM business data analysis, data mining, and business intelligence).
• Expertise using MySQL, and depth of understanding about high-performance use of relational databases.
• Expertise in machine learning, algorithmic modeling, etc., to leverage very large data sets.
• Familiarity with Linux command line, scripting, and automation: Python, Bash, cron jobs, etc.
• Familiarity with non-relational data frameworks (aka NoSQL, e.g., Hive, Redis, Riak, SimpleDB).
• Familiarity moving algorithms into map-reduce, based on Hadoop.
• Familiarity with software engineering processes, including: source code control (Git), TDD, team planning and coordination (Kanban/WIP), how to leverage open source projects, etc.
• MS/PhD in an analytical field.
• Expertise using R for statistical computing.
• Exposure to Spark.
• Portfolio of prior work in predictive modeling for eCommerce.
• Previous experience with online communities, social networking, gaming, virtual worlds, and/or online subscriptions.
IMVU, the #1 avatar-based social network welcomes users to join a never-ending world where anything is possible, including connecting with people from all over the world. It's here that the fun is infinite and reality is limitless. The IMVU Virtual Shop is the largest of its kind, with an inventory of more than 20 million user-generated, VR-ready goods and growing everyday. From collections that include the hottest trends and throwback sneakers to fairy wings and couture gowns, the marketplace allows our users to personalize, customize and stylize their 3D avatars and environments to their hearts' content. With over three million unique users every month, our platform is poised for future growth and available on desktop, tablet and mobile devices.
Our Engineers are given significant autonomy over their work: we hire smart people and trust them to use their creativity and talents to do right by their peers and our customers. We are longstanding evangelists of Continuous Deployment, strong supporters of open source software and we spawned the Lean Startup movement. We value humility, open collaboration and foster an environment that supports learning from and mentoring others. We want you to grow your talent and career. We’ll provide plenty of interesting challenges and strong support to ensure your success. At IMVU, we solve challenging problems and create amazing products together every day! Check out some of what we’re doing on our Engineering blog: http://im.vu/engineering
Founded in 2004 and based in the heart of Silicon Valley, IMVU is led by a team that's dedicated to pioneering the virtual reality industry. IMVU is backed by venture investors Menlo Ventures, Allegis Capital, Bridgescale Partners and Best Buy Capital.
IMVU has been recognized frequently as Best Place to Work in the Silicon Valley.
HOW TO APPLY
• Please try out our core product before you apply. We’d like you to understand our products and have some understanding of our customers.
• Please include a cover letter. Make sure to discuss why you are interested in learning more about IMVU. Job applications without cover letters will not be considered.
IMVU is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.