HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Laboratory Director in Reston, Virginia
·• • Integrates Clinical Laboratory services with the primary functions of the medical center and hospital. Demonstrates complete understanding of the role the clinical laboratory serves in the provision of quality healthcare. Maintains appropriate compliance with regulatory standards, i.e. CAP, TJC, CLIA and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
• Coordinates and directs daily operations including decision-making, responses to problems, identifying errors and taking corrective action. Demonstrates managerial and technical expertise. Provides direct supervision of non-technical staff and operational supervision of technical staff in cooperation with clinical coordinators and supervisors, including scheduling, counseling, and disciplinary action.
• Develops and implements policies and procedures, consistent with market consolidation activities and philosophies, that guide and support the provision of Clinical Laboratory services. These include phlebotomy, lab general, and lab/nursing manuals.
• Recommends the sufficient number of qualified and competent persons necessary to provide appropriate laboratory service. Adheres to proper resource allocation and coordination. Maintains lab material management system. Controls departmental supply expense.
• Determines the qualifications and competence of Clinical Laboratory personnel. Selects qualified applicants for employment. Coordinates continuing education and competency assessment for all Clinical Laboratory personnel. Performs or coordinates general lab orientation for all new employees, including, safety, infection control, clerical/computer, phlebotomy, and billing compliance.
• Continually assesses and improves the performance of the Clinical Laboratory at the site level and within the market operation. Serves as a resource for staff. Performs performance appraisals, sets goals and monitors progress. Shares/manages daily workload as needed. Uses time wisely. Delegates tasks and plans for succession.
• Addresses department efficiencies from both a facility and a market perspective. Balances consolidation opportunities with facility specific service needs. Remains focused on the effectiveness of the entire operation. Motivates and educates staff to challenge traditional operational methods, i.e., scheduling, processes, etc.
• Demonstrates innovation and creativity. Responds to changes in clinical laboratory medicine. Maintains and cultivates effective communication with Laboratory leadership, staff, pathologists and other healthcare providers. Respects patient confidentiality. Demonstrates and appreciates need for the priority of meeting /exceeding customer expectations. Provide a productive atmosphere.
• Demonstrates proficiency in all computer related tasks.
• Understands, respects and adheres to guidelines set forth in Lab Billing Compliance Plan. Attends Annual Billing Compliance Training and Annual Ethics Training.
• Demonstrates working knowledge and understanding of safety principles.
• Initiates and documents patient teaching, including family and /or significant others. Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and assess data appropriate to the age of the patient served.
EXPERIENCE Required - 5 Years, Medical Technology/other Clinical Science with 1 year training/experience in high complexity testing. Preferred - Additional 3 years Management Experience
EDUCATION Required - Bachelors in Medical Technology or chemical, physical, biological science. Preferred - Bachelors in Medical Technology, Masters, Business or Healthcare Administration
CERTIFICATIONRequired- MT(ASCP) or equivalent. Registry/Licensure in a specialty area will be considered. Continuing Education to maintain registry/licensure is required.
Title: Laboratory Director
Location: Virginia-Reston-Reston Hospital Center - Reston
Requisition ID: 08540-12277