Columbia Sportswear Company Apparel Fit Engineer in Richmond, California
Apparel Fit Engineer
United States, California, Richmond
1000025A Requisition #
Oct 17, 2016 Post Date
Contribute to the Product Development process by working closely with all functions within Product Creation (Merchandising, Design, Product Development, LO Merchandising, Quality Assurance, and HK Development Center). Optimizing garment fit and manufacturability is the main focus.
Must remain true to the Product’s/End User’s needs, directed by Merchandising and Design, while considering manufacturability of the product.
- Develop strong team partnerships with Merchandising, Design, Product Development, Materials Research, Quality Assurance, Development Centers, and the LO Merchandising staff to ensure a coordinated and efficient apparel engineering process.
- Ensure Fit Consistency at the style and category levels during the season by participating in
- scheduled fit sessions and seasonal auditing of products, at the classification level.
- Work with cross-functional team members, on a regular basis, to examine and validate Fit for the Columbia Consumer.
- Provide feedback on Category Fit Blocks with Fit Engineering leadership.
- Own building of measurement charts in PDM per assigned block, making adjustments to specs based on style specifications.Responsible for making comments on fit, measurement and pattern issues on each style.Maintain accurate measurement charts in PDM thoughout the development cycle of each style.Request, receive, and approve graded size charts from factory or DC.
- Organization:create tools, systems and processes that allow for quick and accurate management of a large style workload.
- Ability to clearly communicate Fit-related issues in a concise manner to a broad audience, including international partners, for whom English is a second language.
- Engineering:working with Fit Engineering Manager and/or Director, establish parameters for Fit on a yearly basis including pattern measurements, process allowances, quality standards and construction details.In collaboration with the Product Developers, identify, document, and communicate any construction details or sew methods to the factory which affect fit.
- Offer fit-related suggestions and recommendations to improve products and ensure successful commercialization, from prototype stage to production.
- Fit Sessions:provide leadership to the product creation teams in all fit sessions; take an active role in fitting prototypes with the Designer and PLM.Review the prototype to ensure that the garments meet Merchandising and Design requirements, are constructed according to the established specifications, and meet Columbia Sportswear’s quality standards.
- Propose and implement changes that will expedite the fitting process.
- Work as team member by providing engineering support and assistance to Product Developers, as needed.
- Stay informed of relevant industry- and trend-related Fit information, as it pertains to assigned category.
- Act as a resource to Merchandising, Design, and PD teams by sharing technical fit knowledge, including the many influences on fit…i.e. fabric behaviour, weight, articulation, etc.
- Possess knowledge of patternmaking, fit engineering, and Columbia Sportswear’s end-user activities.
- Knowledge of garment construction and manufacturing practices is essential. Knowledge of the outdoor industry, end user and retail distribution is recommended. Ability to read, write, and speak English. Proficient in manipulating data including statistical analysis and advanced math calculations. Good organizational skills and attention to detail required. Mental ability to conduct interpersonal interactions with company personnel.Ability to operate independently and innovatively and follow general guidelines.
- College degree or equivalent with course work in textiles, apparel design, development or manufacturing or related experience.
- 5-8 years in patternmaking and/or garment engineering is preferred.
- Patternmaking/grading computer skills desirable.
- Experience with Asian apparel development is helpful. Large scale factory experience is also beneficial.
If you’re the type of person that likes to work hard, play hard and do it as part of a hard-working team, then this could be the opportunity for you! We make products that stand the test of time, and we want you to do that with us!
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Gender/Age .
OTS - MHW
OTS - COL