Indian Health Service Purchasing Agent (RB2111) in Rosebud, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Rosebud, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Thursday 7/21/2016 (96 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (67 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives. This position is the Purchasing Agent in the Procurement Department at the Rosebud Indian Health Service, Rosebud, South Dakota. The incumbent reports to the Supervisory Contract Officer. The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is an Open Until Filled Job Opportunity Announcement. Certificate of eligible applicants will be rated and referred to the Selecting Official on a bi-weekly basis until the position has been filled. Please ensure applications are complete before the cut-off dates to receive full consideration.
Period of Eligibility: Applicants will remain eligible for three (3) months from the time the application is received. To remain in active status for positions announced, ensure you keep you application information updated. Failure to keep information updated will result in "expired application" status and you will no longer be considered for future openings.
- Assists and educates programs to make purchases.
- Prepares purchase orders, BPA's, contracts for signature by a Contracting Officer.
- Develops a good working knowledge with skills to operate and provide solutions in our financial and acquisition systems.
- Purchases a wide variety of the complex and highly specialized services, supplies, and equipment to meet the unique requirements of the organizations served.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Position subject to Level V Background clearance including credit check.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S):The following table shows the amounts of experience required to qualify for this position: GS-7: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-6 grade level. GS-8: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 grade level. GS-9: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-8 grade level.
To qualify based on specialized experience for GS-7 level, you must have one year of experience (equivalent to the GS-6 level) that included duties such as:
- Conducting open market negotiations and making competitive or sole source small purchases for complex, non-routine scientific equipment and/or services; Preparing and submitting purchase orders and service contracts for approval; Maintaining accountable property records and reconciling the accountability report; and Representing an organization in pre/post award contract engagements.
To qualify based on specialized experience for GS-8 level, you must have one year of experience (equivalent to the GS-7 level) that included duties such as:
- Responsible for the procurement of supplies, services, equipment, and construction utilizing simplified acquisition procedures (SAP) within the small purchase dollar limitations. Utilize a variety of SAP instruments to establish contracts to acquire supplies and services to meet the needs of the customer, i.e.: purchase orders, blanket purchase agreements, delivery orders and credit card purchases.
- Screen purchase requests for appropriateness, completeness, and reasonableness of information and specifications, and for prior approval.
- Knowledge of business and industry practices and personal knowledge of some commodities and services is required to ensure delivery from manufacturers of dealerships.
- Negotiates terms of purchase orders, analyzes pricing proposals, and prepares purchase orders, blanket purchase agreements orders, and delivery orders for signature. Reconciles errors with vendors and performs the full gamut of contract administrative functions associated with small purchase acquisition. Completed work is subject to review for compliance with basic procurement procedures and regulations.
- Perform technical support work required in the review and purchase orders necessary for accomplishment.
- Process ratifications of unauthorized procurements and processing of same, when necessary.
- Administer small purchases that require extensive monitoring and oversight to resolve complex problems.
- Compile data on quarterly Small Purchase reports and Bi-annual Printing Report.
To qualify based on specialized experience for GS-9 level, you must have one year of experience (equivalent to the GS-8 level) that included duties such as:
- Plan work to be accomplished by subordinates and prepares schedules for completion of work. Ascertains customer needs/requirements, solicits feedback and makes appropriate adjustments.
- Provide direction in determination of requirements, procurement, stock control, storage, issue disposal, cataloging, excess and surplus supply determination, inventory, receiving and forms management.
- Establish Blanket Purchase Agreements, Purchase Orders, Delivery orders and credit card purchases for appropriated funds purchases.
- Purchases a wide variety of the most complex and highly specialized services, supplies and equipment to meet the unique requirements of the organization. Provide continuing advice and assistance to end users to ensure that vendors meet requirements.
- Reviews purchases requisitions for adequacy and completeness of specifications and statements of work. Determine the most effective purchasing methods and strategies.
- Research and contacts with requestors, vendors, manufacturers, etc., in locating sources for specialized item services.
- Negotiates terms of purchase orders, price analysis techniques to perform price or cost analysis, and prepares purchase orders.
- Reconciles errors with vendors. Responsible for reconciling outstanding invoices, deobligating funds and year-end closings. Uses an automated or manual purchasing system and/or financial management system.
- Knowledgeable of regulations that may include, Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Health and Human Services Acquisition Regulations (HHSAR), Indian Health Service Manual (IHM, Part 5), Acquisition Management (Chapter 5), area office instructions and guidance procedures.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Position is covered by a bargaining unit.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Promotion Potential: This position has promotion potential to the GS-09 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Government housing is not available.
- MULTIPLE-GRADE ANNOUNCEMENT: Announcement at the multiple-grade interval is intended as a mechanism of providing consideration for the greatest number of potential candidates. This position may be filled at any level, dependent upon the applicant's demonstrated ability, experience, and other qualifying criteria. If the position is filled at less than the upper level, there is NO commitment for future promotions, based solely on selection resulting from this announcement. Conversely, if the employee demonstrates the ability to perform at a higher level, is recommended by the supervisor, and otherwise meets the qualifications, he/she may be promoted without further competition under the Area Merit Promotion Program, however for temporary positions, conversion without competition may not be possible unless the selectee was within reach at the higher grade on the initial certificate of eligibles. Also, no further competition is required if it becomes necessary through the reclassification process to upgrade the position.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $40,033.00 to $63,654.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-1105-07/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 445386800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1758414-ESEP/MP