Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Hospitalist-Program Manager) in Salisbury, North Carolina
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Salisbury, NC
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/11/2016 (8 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 10/25/2016 (6 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1822161 OUR MISSION**: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people - our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country's service.
If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans. The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define "who we are," our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence ("I CARE").
America's Veterans need you! To find out more, go to http://www.va.gov/jobs/.
This position is located in the Salisbury VA Medical Center, Medicine Services, Salisbury, NC. The primary purpose of this position is to provide technical and administrative support in the Hospitalist Section.
Serve as a Program Manager or as Chief of the Hospitalist Section, if appropriate and as needed.
Provide guidance and support to the nurse practitioners assigned to Medicine Service in their respective areas of expertise.
Provide guidance and supervision for the medical students and residents (interns, residents, and/or fellows) assigned to the Service Line.
Responsible and accountable for assuring coverage for all tours, and for constructing and maintaining the master schedule of tours of duty for all members of his/her team.
Perform required appropriate time mapping and resources to ensure that they are empowered to meet expected proficiencies in administration, clinical practice and research.
Provide quality patient-centered patient care to both inpatients and outpatients for adults as assigned by Service Line Chief.
Serve as staff attending on General Medicine House staff Wards and on General Internal Medicine Staff ward when assigned by Service Line Chief.
Participate as a peer reviewer process when requested.
Integrate patient care activities on Medicine Services and other patient care programs at the medical center and in the community such as Social Work, Prosthetics, Home Based Heath Care, and private nursing homes.
*Develop the initial plan of care and update the plan, serving as a resource person to less experienced staff, and act as a leader in developing standard of care.
Supports the Medical Center wide research mission.
Assist in conducting studies regarding treatment modalities, outcomes, and other aspects of patient care when appropriate.
Encourage participation in clinical research among other staff members.
* And other duties assigned by the Service Line Chief.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician-Program Manager/0602
- Not Required
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- U.S. citizenship
- English language proficiency
- Physical standards - All applicants must meet the physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to employment may be required.
- Licensure and Registration Current, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States or in the District of Columbia. The Physician must maintain a current registration to continue employment with the VA
- Educational requirements - Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are:
- Schools of medicine holding regular institutional membership in the Association of American Medical Colleges for the year in which the degree was granted.
- Schools of osteopathic medicine approved by the American Osteopathic Association for the year in which the degree was granted.
- Schools (including foreign schools) accepted by the licensing body of a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico), or in the District of Columbia as qualifying for full or unrestricted licensure.
- For residents, graduation from an approved medical school as described above is required.
- First-Year Residency (Internship) - Completed a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was competed. For a VA resident, the appropriate Deans Committee and Resident Review Board may recommend appointment on the basis of the candidate's acceptability for residency training. Approved residencies are:
- Those approved by the Council on Medical Education and Hospitals, American Medical Association, in the list published for the year the residency was completed, OR
- Other residencies or their equivalents which the Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training. The Board may determine that the residency requirement has been met if the candidate has completed 1 year of postgraduate education.
The following requirements for this position are as follows:
- No special requirement.
Preferred Experience: Board Certifications (highly preferred).
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Ability to bend, stoop, squat, lift up to 50 lbs. Emotional and mental stability.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Salary Range: $130,000.00 to $250,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 452997400
Job Announcement Number: VHA-659-16-KLN-1822161