Barnes & Noble Head Cashier - Full-Time in San Antonio, Texas
Head Cashier - Full-Time
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS) is a Fortune 500 company, the nation’s largest retail bookseller, and a leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products with annual revenues of more than $4 billion. The Company operates 648 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, and one of the Web’s premier e-commerce sites, BN.com ( www.bn.com ). Our Nook Digital business offers a lineup of popular NOOK®tablets and eReaders and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content through the NOOK Store®( www.nook.com ).
It’s no secret why Barnes & Noble is among the best-loved and most-respected brands in the country. From becoming the first bookseller in America to discount books in the 1970s to establishing the superstore concept in the 1990s to the launch of NOOK and our current merchandise expansion into areas like educational toys and games and curated gifts, Barnes & Noble continues to revolutionize the retail industry.
Over the past few years, we have dynamically transformed our business from a store-based model to an omni-channel model centered on our retail stores, e-commerce and digital. Our omni-channel distribution platform provides customers easy and convenient access to print and digital books, magazines, newspapers, and entertainment content, along with a diverse product selection that rivals any specialty retailer. In addition, we have implemented a variety of innovative merchandising initiatives that continue to grow store traffic and sales.
With corporate offices in New York City, Westbury, NY, and Santa Clara, CA, we offer a wide range of opportunities in various disciplines, including merchandising, book buying, marketing, digital, engineering, information technology, finance and accounting. Our distribution centers in Monroe, NJ, and Reno, NV, offer challenging opportunities in distribution, logistics and more, while our state-of-the-art customer service center in Lyndhurst, NJ, features opportunities for customer service professionals. And our Sterling Publishing subsidiary in New York City provides exciting opportunities in the publishing field.
We're passionate about our people and profession and are investing in all areas of our business, so the opportunities to make an impact based on your interests, skills and talents have never been greater. If you have a focus on customer satisfaction, teamwork, and enjoy the free exchange of ideas, consider joining our team.
As a Head Cashier, you are responsible for delivering world-class customer service at cashwrap by resolving any situation to the satisfaction of the customer. You assist in the daily operations at the register, in accordance with proper cash handling and loss prevention procedures. You have a passion for what you do, serving as a mentor to other booksellers and making the store experience interactive and engaging.
- Provide world-class customer service by delivering the four core service principles: put the book in the customer's hand, offer to order, offer the Member program, and fast cashiering.
- Ensure that procedures for fast cashiering are followed through the execution of Integrated Store Operations (ISO) standards; schedule backup and manage breaks.
- Recognize potential situations or issues and consult with the manager on duty as appropriate, partnering to resolve any situation or issue to the satisfaction of the customer.
- Optimize the presentation of gift cards, ensuring the full representation of inventory on the selling floor.
- Ensure that operational standards are followed by accurately balancing registers, authorizing returns and exchanges, completing daily deposit, tracking Memberships, and consistently maintaining accurate cash logs.
- Protect company assets by handling cash properly and recognizing loss through fraudulent returns, internal theft, and improper or unauthorized discounting.
- Greet and establish rapport with customers, engaging them in conversations about all our products and services.
- Sells Memberships and gift cards, acting as a role model for all booksellers.
- Help orient and train new booksellers on cashiering, ensuring a smooth acclimation to the store and our bookselling culture.
- Act with integrity and trust, promoting our bookselling culture and core values.
- You are accurate, manage your time well, and are comfortable making decisions under pressure.
- You can anticipate problems and partner appropriately with the store management team to resolve issues, ensuring that customers have a pleasant shopping experience.
- You relate easily to others, building rapport and collaborative relationships with the store team and customers.
- You are patient, tolerant, and effective at listening to and checking with others before acting.
- You are a cooperative team player who easily gains the trust and support of your peers.
- You are comfortable in a changing environment, with multitasking, with learning new systems and processes, and with assisting in all areas of the store.
- You comply at all times with the Standards, Policies, and Code of Business Conduct and Ethics set out in the Bookseller Handbook.
- You should possess past supervisory experience managing employees and handling cash, preferably in a retail environment.
- You work at cashwrap and on the sales floor as needed, which requires physical activity, including prolonged standing and repetitive bending.
- Our stores are open daily, which requires early morning, evening, weekend, and holiday availability.
- You should be capable of using a computer and cash register.
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.