Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Chief of Staff (Physician) in San Diego, California
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- San Diego, CA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Thursday 9/22/2016 (35 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 9/22/2017 (330 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1798381
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
VHA provides patient centered care, delivered by engaged, collaborative teams in an integrated environment that supports learning and continuous improvement. The Veteran's experience and health outcomes are improved with an emphasis on prevention through healing relationships in an optimal healing environment.
We are seeking new team members interested in working in this environment. We are looking for team members that possess high energy, a strong work ethic, integrity, who are kind and empathetic, have a sense of humor, and who enjoy working for a collaborative, team-oriented system. The team member must be willing to build customer confidence by professional dress and demeanor.
We invite you to apply to become part of a team of professionals engaged in promoting positive organizational change to improve business outcomes and create a positive healthcare experience for patients, families, and caregivers.
The following incentives are being offered:
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) relocation expenses.
A recruitment incentive or relocation incentive may be approved for a highly qualified candidate.
The VA San Diego Healthcare System (VASDHS) is recruiting for a Physician to serve as the Chief of Staff of, who has overall responsibility for all clinical care within VASDHS. The focus of the position is to assure coordinated patient care delivery and clinical systems management in support of the facility mission and goals. As a member of the Executive Leadership Team, the Chief of Staff is a key advisor to the Director on clinical issues and assists in the administration and oversight of clinical, educational and research programs. S/he may serve as Acting Director in the absence of the Director and participates in selection of key staff members.
The Chief of Staff provides oversight and guidance to the clinical operations of VA San Diego Healthcare System to provide healthcare to approximately 90,000 Veterans in the geographical area as well as those referred to this highly academically affiliated and highly complex tertiary care center. These duties include directing clinical services in the coordination and delivery of high quality inpatient and ambulatory care, maximizing budgetary and operational efficiency, ensuring policy and regulatory compliance, and resolving professional staff matters. To carry out these responsibilities, the Chief of Staff performs the following, but not limited to:
1) Assure VA San Diego Healthcare System-wide coordination and delivery of high quality care.
2) Direct, through supervised Clinical Service Chief and Associate Chiefs of Staff, the activities of the medical staff, delivery of clinical care, and oversight of research and graduate medical education programs
3) Organize and leads meetings of the organized Medical Staff, and assure adherence to the bylaws and rules and regulations.
4) Assure education and deployment of systems redesign and performance improvement methodology; assist management prepare and execute training, assessment and application of these methodologies.
5) Utilize analytic tools to provide data to management for strategic and operative planning, and employ such data to create white papers that guide management decisions.
6) Provide support and guidance to assure institutional compliance with external accrediting organizations, e.g., JCAHO, CARF, etc.
7) Plan and direct clinical application development to meet patient care needs.
8) Assist in the formulation of strategic short term and long range plans and goals for the clinical components of the medical center.
9) Work with other health care disciplines to establish policies so that all health care professionals practice within the scope of their licenses.
10) Chairs the Peer Review Committee and provides oversight to facility Peer Review for Quality processes.
11) Provides direction to other physician focused committees including the Professional Standards Board and Physician Pay Panels
12) Serves as a member of (and chairs as needed) key medical center managerial bodies including the Quality Council, Resources Management Council, Integrated Ethics Council, and others.
Work Schedule: Full Time
VA San Diego Healthcare System is a 24/7 operation. The incumbent may be required to work days, nights, off-tour, weekends, and holidays to meet the needs of our Veterans.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional Travel to VA San Diego Healthcare System sites of care
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) relocation expenses
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: The individual selected for this position will be a highly qualified board-certified or board-eligible physician, who preferentially holds an additional MPA, MHA, MPH, or equivalent. Given the complexity of such an undertaking, the individual selected will have a record of leadership achievement, initiative and supervisory success. It is expected that the physician who accepts this position will participate in patient care and teaching, thus qualifying for academic appointment. Direct patient care activity may account for as much as 15% of his/her time. Academic appointment at the University of California at San Diego, School of Medicine, appropriate to the achievements of the individual selected for this position, will be expected as required of all physicians in this affiliated tertiary care medical center.
Additional Preferred Qualifications include the following:
Experienced in health care operations
Experienced in health care systems analyses
Experience in quality assurance
Experience in health care research or research operations
Experience in complex academic affiliations and delivery of post-graduate medical education
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Bending/stooping; Twisting; Both hands required; Walking (up to 6 hours); Standing (up to 2 hours); Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and 20/40 in the other; Both eyes required; Hearing aid permitted; Mental and Emotional Stability required.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
NOTE: Candidates will be referred upon receipt of their application materials. The position will remain open until filled.
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. The VHA physician brochure provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Salary Range: $150,000.00 to $309,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-15/15
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 450158900
Job Announcement Number: OP-16-MWa-1798381