CloudFlare Systems Engineer - Platform and Tools in San Francisco, California
Systems Engineer - Platform and Tools- San Francisco
At CloudFlare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal -- to build a better, more secure internet. We believe that with our talented team, smart technology and engaged users we can solve some of the biggest problems on the web. We already serve more web traffic than Twitter, Bing, Wikipedia, Amazon, Apple and Instagram combined. Anytime we push a line of code, it affects over 200 million web surfers overnight. We are still a small team, well-funded, growing quickly and focused on building a world-class company.
About the Role:
CloudFlare is leading the way in making the internet better, safer and more powerful every day. From cutting-edge connection encryption to the largest global network for content distribution, CloudFlare seeks out the internet’s most complex issues and designs easily accessible solutions that are today employed across millions of websites. In line with the cutting-edge and highly sensitive nature of our work, we build many of our tools ourselves and operate our own platform.
The Systems Engineer - Platform and Tools will lead efforts in making our platform faster, easier, and safer for our engineers to deploy services to. Systems Engineers throughout CloudFlare build services that run on our edge network, power our website, and handle big data and analytics problems. Engineers on the Platform team enable all of these engineers to build and ship systems faster.
Do you like to make tools that make engineers and developers lives easier? Do you live to break down and solve complex problems by creating practical, maintainable, and scalable solutions? If so please read on.
In a typical week, the Platform Engineer might:
• Troubleshoot a problematic deploy on a Marathon cluster
• Build a system to alert engineers when their services consume too many resources
• Architect a new pipeline for collecting and aggregating service logs
• Build tools that enable engineers to provision themselves on a Postgres or Citus cluster
• Design and implement dashboards for monitoring cluster health
• Analyze resource usage to help make hardware purchasing decisions
• Document and teach other engineers how to use the Platform efficiently
• Log and triage feature requests
Therefore, as a Platform Engineer it is critical that:
• You understand how distributed systems work
• You have experience working in a Linux development environment with Linux tools
• You have experience with modern DevOps tooling (Docker, Chef, Puppet, CloudFormation, or Salt or similar)
• You have expertise in one or more mainstream programming languages (Java, C, C++, Go, Scala, Ruby, or Python)
• You are either knowledgeable about or willing to learn Go and Python
• You are comfortable working on critical production systems
• You take pride in your code, and appreciate feedback, discussion, and iteration
• You can communicate well, particularly in writing - code reviews, spec writing, bug comments, etc.
It would be great, but not essential if you could also bring:
• Expertise in configuration management systems
• Experience with Linux container technologies
• Experience with Nginx
• Knowledge of web, security and virtualization technologies
• Experience with continuous deployment infrastructure
• Experience with distributed monitoring
• Code samples
Some tools that we use:
• Marathon / Mesos
• Prometheus and Nagios
We offer competitive salaries, equity, fantastic health benefits plan, a new laptop, monthly CalTrain / BART pass for commuters and the opportunity to work with a smart, motivated team where you will see your contribution daily. A chance to travel the world, speaking at the best of the best security conferences. Our sunny offices are based in SOMA in San Francisco, CA.
Most importantly, a chance to be part of a highly motivated extremely fast paced team at the front-lines of InfoSec.
Sound like somewhere you'd thrive? We'd love to hear from you. Submit your resume and a short paragraph to introduce yourself.
CloudFlare is a security company. All prospective employees will be subject to an extensive background check.
CloudFlare is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.