Indian Health Service Clinical Nurse (Intensive Care Unit) in Shiprock, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Shiprock, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 1/29/2016 (270 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (67 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Direct Hire procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-NN-1605553-ESEP/MP for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered or Direct Hire
The Clinical Nurse positions are located in the Intensive Care Unit department at Northern Navajo Medical Center, Shiprock, New Mexico. The Clinical Nurse is responsible for providing moderately difficult professional nursing care to all critically ill patients. This position reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse (SCN).
- Assess the needs of patients.
- Administer therapeutics such as medications, treatment, etc.
- Operate, monitor and analyze data from specialized equipment.
- Document observations, assessments nursing interventions, therapeutic measures administered.
- Respond appropriately in emergency situations.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required to perform duties.
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
An active, unrestricted registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below.
GS-9: 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's degree OR 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level.
GS-10: Completion of a professional nursing program and 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level.
LICENSURE: Applicants will be required to verify they possess a current, valid, unrestricted license in any State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth or Puerto Rico or a Territory of the United States.
Experience: Experience that must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. At GS-9 and above, many positions require experience in a specialty area of nursing.
Graduate level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service, National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency high priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS: http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment
For NHSC: https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment
For HRSA Nurse Corps: http://hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
Promotion Potential: This position has promotion potential to the GS-11 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commission Corps. PHS Commission Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commission Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.uphs.gov/
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
Appointment Above the minimum may or may not be authorized.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facility.
- This position is covered under the Indian Child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized position subject to P.L. 101-630 and P.L. 101-647.
- Incumbent will work a regularly assigned rotational or call back basis to provide continuity of patient care during evenings, nights, holidays and weekends.
IHS - Operated Properties are Tobacco-Free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $73,882.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: All groups of qualified individuals
Control Number: 427957100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-NN-1605538-DH