Indian Health Service Clinical Nurse (PACU), GS-0610-09/10 in Shiprock, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Shiprock, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 2/3/2016 (265 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (67 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-NN-1612238-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
The Clinical Nurse (PACU) positions are located inthe Operating Room Department at Northern Navajo Medical Center, Shiprock, New Mexico. The Clinical Nurse is responsible for intensive observation and care of patients after an operative and other invasive procedure which an anesthetic agent has been necessary. This position reports to the Supervisory Clinical Nurse.
- Observes and assesses patient's health status and critically ill emergency patients by physical assessment and examination, interviewing patient and family members and patient's health history. Independently assesses and interprets the data, patient's condition and recognizes normal/abnormal parameters for appropriate nursing action to be taken.
- Develop, implements and evaluates an individualized plan of care and will coordinate to deliver care to patients for specific care needed for after surgical procedures.
- Adheres to the American Society of Peri Anesthesia Nurses (ASPAN) Standards of Care to develop, implement, evaluate and revise an appropriate problem-oriented care plan, problem solving nursing plan for the care of patients in the perianethesia setting.
- Functions independently in the complex environment with a critical care expertise and must be able to accept and adapt to the constant changing patient care environment. Patient care activities can range from simple recovery after local anesthesia to complicated assessment and planning for the patient in critical condition.
- Collaborates with members of the surgical team and other multi-disciplinary team in assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating patient care for the scheduled, unscheduled, or emergency surgical procedures.
- Not Required
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- Selective Service registration is required for males born after 12/31/59.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
1. Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Must provide official Nursing transcripts.
2. An active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following types of tasks.
GS-09: 2 Full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's degree OR 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level.
GS-10: 1 Full year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level.
LICENSURE:Applicants will be required to verify they possess a current, valid, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a Territory of the United States.
Examples of Experience: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, experience in professional knowledge in nursing principles, practices, and procedures providing critical patient care, knowledge of pre-operative, intra-operative and immediate post-operative care, and monitoring and treatment techniques. Knowledge and skill in use of specialized equipment, maintaining sterile and aseptic techniques.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 p.m. (EasternTime) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:
For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/
For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/
For HRSA Nurse Corps - http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
Promotion Potential: This position has promotion potential to the GS-10 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The incumbent will work a regularly assigned rotational or call back basis to provide continuity of patient care during evenings, nights, holiday and weekends.
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- This position is covered under the Indian child Protection Act and is hereby designated an authorized Child Care position subject to P.L. 101-630 and P.L. 101-647.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $73,882.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 428527100
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-NN-1614390-DH