Food and Drug Administration General Health Scientist, GS-0601-12/13 in Silver Spring, Maryland
Food and Drug Administration
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Silver Spring, MD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 10/10/2016 (13 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 10/28/2016 (5 day(s) away)
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), Office of Translational Sciences (OTS), Office of Clinical Pharmacology in Silver Spring, MD.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-CDER-16-MP-1786523 *under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. *NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Who May Apply:* Open to all United States Citizens. Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.*
MAJOR DUTIES OF THE POSITION:
- Provide scientific expertise in the area of pharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics.
- Apply in depth knowledge of chemistry, biology pharmacokinetics, physiology, pharmacology/pharmacy and medical science in the review of Investigational New Drug (INDs) Applications, Non Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) and Form 5 applications.
- Remain cognizant of developments in the field, exchange ideas with other scientists.
- Maintain awareness of the state of the art through continuing review of the scientific literature and studies of precedent setting investigations to develop specific approaches to assigned area of responsibility.
- Arranges for and act as a Project Officer on extramural contracts to resolve problems encountered in the review procedures.
- Not Required
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Only experience gained by closing date announcement will be considered.
- One year probationary period may be required.
To qualify for the General Health Scientist GS 601-12/13 position, you must meet the following:
Degree: Applicants must have successfully completed a 4-year course of study at an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included a major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
In addition to the basic requirement above, you must meet the following specialized experience requirements. **
GS-12: Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience providing scientific expertise in the area of biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics; performing pharmacokinetic analysis; and/or experience applying in depth knowledge of chemistry, biology, pharmacokinetics, physiology, pharmacology/pharmacy, and medical science in the review of Investigational New Drug Applications (INDs), Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) and antibiotic Forms 5.
GS-13: Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience providing scientific expertise in the area of biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics; performing pharmacokinetic analysis; and/or experience applying in depth knowledge of chemistry, biology, pharmacokinetics, physiology, pharmacology/pharmacy, and medical science in the review of Investigational New Drug Applications (INDs), Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) and antibiotic Forms 5; and serving in a consultant capacity to colleagues, senior management and/or industry representatives in the evaluation of drug bioavailability and phamacokinetic data.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Conditions of Employment:
- Security and Background Requirements: Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. If hired, a background security re-investigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Pre-employment physical required: No5. Drug testing required: No6. License required: No7. Mobility agreement required: No**8. Immunization required: No
- Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
- Bargaining Unit Position: Yes11. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing of the announcement.
- Financial disclosure statement required: No
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement. Once this process is completed, you will be notified of your status via e-mail.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at http://www.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits#icc.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 copy) or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Career Transition Program: This program applies to Federal workers whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed, or an employee who has been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service. To receive selection priority for this position, you must be rated well-qualified. Well-qualified means eligible applicants whose knowledge, skills, and abilities clearly exceed the minimum qualification requirements of the position. For information on how to apply and what documents to submit as an ICTAP eligible, see: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employeeguides/careertransition.asp
Salary Range: $77,490.00 to $119,794.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0601-12/13
Promotion Potential: 13
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 450680900
Job Announcement Number: FDA-CDER-16-DE-1785903KB