Indian Health Service Community Health Nurse (SI5306) in Sisseton, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
2 vacancies in the following location:
- Sisseton, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 7/6/2016 (275 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 5/31/2017 (54 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is located at the Sisseton Indian Health Service in the Great Plains Area. The purpose of this position is to provide comprehensive nursing services to individuals, families and communities within a designated geographical area. Services are provided to all age groups with a focus on health promotion and disease prevention. The health program is carried out in home, office, clinic, schools and community.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Direct Hire Authority. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-GP-1742730-DHA++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicants who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
*ANNOUNCEMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED*
Applications will be reviewed starting on July 19, 2016 and every 10 business days thereafter until filled.
- Assess, plans, implements, and evaluates the health needs of patient while providing nursing care to individuals and families with focus on the prevention of disease and the promotion of health.
- Functions as a nurse educator by promoting self care management of health needs.
- Case manages patients with skill in order to provide continuity of care.
- Assists in disease prevention activities such as contact investigation, mass community screening, and immunization outreach clinics.
- Administers prescribed oral, subcutaneous, intramuscular and intradermal medications following policy and procedures.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Current, active nursing licensure required (Submit a copy)
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Individual Occupational Requirements Basic Requirements Education: Applicants for Community Health Nurse positions at GS-5 and above must have graduated from a baccalaureate or higher degree nursing program.
AND Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. An applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse within 6 months of appointment. No person appointed pending registration may be retained beyond 6 months, or promoted, if registration has not been attained.
GS-09: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 grade level; OR, Two (2) full years of progressively higher level graduate education; OR, A master's or equivalent degree. GS-11: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 grade level; OR, Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent); OR, Three (3) full years of progressively higher level graduate education.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. At GS-09 and above, many positions require experience in a specialty area of nursing.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE GS-09 LEVEL (With modest supervision): This is position is a Community Health Nurse position and you must have specialized experience with CHN duties and experience to qualify for this position. Experience in providing health promotion and disease prevention to all age groups within a community. Experience Utilizing nursing processes in order to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate health needs in providing nursing care to individuals and families including interventions designed to prevent complications and minimize disabilities in the field of Community Health. Experience in or Experience in assisting in planning and evaluating the community health nursing program. Experience in carrying out Quality Assurance program and Service Unit goals. Experience in providing nursing care in the Community Health field to individuals eligible for services provided by the I.H.S. in homes, schools, clinics, job sites, and other community locations within the Service Unit. Experience recording and documenting according to established standards and procedures. Experience performing a full range of routine community health nursing care in a community.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE GS-11 LEVEL:Same as GS-09 grade level but with little or no supervision.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $84,624.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel or Direct Hiring Authority
Control Number: 443795300
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R3-GP-1662533-ESEP/MP