Indian Health Service Health Information Specialist (SI2011) in Sisseton, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Sisseton, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 10/14/2016 (10 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 10/27/2016 (3 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: The incumbent serves as the Clinical Applications Coordinator and provides ongoing support of multi-service clinical software applications used in the clinic setting for the Woodrow Wilson Keeble Health Care Clinic. The multi-service applications that support the Indian Health Service Electronic Health Record (EHR) are defined as, but not limited to Patient Care Component (PCC), Text-Integration Utility (TIU), Health Summary and View Patient Record (VPR). The duties involve providing support for these packages and training individuals in the daily operation of the packages as well as how the packages integrate with each other. Incumbent works under the direction of the Clinical Application Coordinators and provides support for a broad range of activities surrounding the implementation of a comprehensive, standardized integrated health care information system.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- The CAC is the principle resource person to others in resolving clinical applications problems affecting clinical departments. Initiates, develops, and analyzes data, and prepares recommendations resulting from studies concerning equipment, budget, cost containment, space, work simplification, reporting requirements, productivity, management information systems, etc.
- Establishes effective interpersonal relationships with all levels of clinic personnel. Promotes an atmosphere that encourages enthusiasm and user participation in clinical computing.
- Promotes an awareness of the importance of data validity, data security and complies with all relevant Privacy Acts, HIPAA regulations, and computer related policies and procedures. Coordinates efforts to correct deficiencies and errors that occur in the electronic record.
- Provides training to end-users on current software applications as needed. Emphasizes accuracy, security and the importance of usage of clinical software applications. Coordinates and provides training classes as needed.
- Performs other position related duties as assigned
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Basic Requirements Degree: major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position. 1. *Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree that included a major field of study or specific course requirements generally as stated in paragraph A in the individual occupational requirements. Where specific course requirements are not indicated in paragraph A, the number of semester hours required to constitute a major field of study is the amount specified by the college or university attended. If this number cannot be obtained, 24 semester hours will be considered as equivalent to a major field of study. The nature and quality of this required course work must have been such that it would serve as a prerequisite for more advanced study in the field or subject-matter area. Related course work generally refers to courses that may be accepted as part of the program major. *2. *Appropriate combination of education and experience that is typically specified in paragraph B of the individual occupational requirements. The "paragraph B" method generally requires that an applicant possess a core of educational credit, such as described in paragraph A above, plus additional education and/or experience. The method of determining the number of semester hours required to constitute a major field of study is the same as described in paragraph A. The quality of the combination of education and experience must be sufficient to demonstrate that the applicant possesses the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform work in the occupation, and is comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of a full 4-year course of study with a major in the appropriate field. In addition to courses in the major and related fields, a typical college degree would have included courses that involved analysis, writing, critical thinking, research, etc. These courses would have provided an applicant with skills and abilities sufficient to perform progressively more responsible work in the occupation. Therefore, creditable experience should have demonstrated similarly appropriate skills or abilities needed to perform the work of the occupation. *AND GS-11:One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 grade level. OR; EDUCATION: Three (3) years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree; OR, Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: *Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and an ability to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. *EXAMPLES OF SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:Experience in resolving clinical applications problems affecting clinical departments. Experience in initiating, developing, and analyzing data, and prepares recommendations resulting from studies concerning equipment, budget, cost containment, space, work simplification, reporting requirements, productivity, management information systems, etc. Experience in establishing effective interpersonal relationships with all levels of clinic personnel. Experience in providing training for end-users on current software applications as needed. Experience in reviewing site parameters and addresses integration issues with other software packages.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Thursday, October 27, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Government Housing subject to availability.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment. You may apply separately for each announcement if you want to be considered under each hiring plan.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Position subject to call back, stand by, rotating shifts and nights/weekends/holidays.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $59,246.00 to $77,019.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0601-11/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 453459200
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-GP-1825892-ESEP/MP