Continental Corporation Sr. Development Engineer in Spring Hope, North Carolina
About Continental With sales of €39.2 billion in 2015, Continental is among the leading automotive suppliers worldwide and currently employs more than 215,000 employees in 55 countries. As a division in the Continental group, ContiTech is one of the world's leading industrial specialists. Its customers can be found in key industries such as machine and plant engineering, mining, the agricultural industry, and the automotive industry. With around 43,000 employees in 44 countries, the company uses its development and material expertise for products and systems made of rubber, plastic, metal, textile, and electronic components to combine these with individual services. ContiTech always thinks in terms of customer-friendly and environmentally-friendly solutions – going well and truly beyond its roots as a producer of rubber products. With sales of €5.4 billion (2015), this international technology partner is active with core branches in Europe, Asia, NAFTA, and South America.
Auto req ID 50130BR
Job Title Sr. Development Engineer
Country United States
Posting Location Spring Hope, NC
Responsible for ensuring the most cost effective materials and technologies are being applied to all processes and products. Function as a key contributor focused on growing the Spring Hope Plant through continuously improving quality and bringing new products to market. Accountable for products and processes remaining in full compliance with all EHS standards word wide, all corporate policies are adhered to and safety is assured for all colleagues as well as plant visitors.
• Provide technical assistance to customers through Marketing and Sales team.
• Review new or changing product requirements with customers and build products and quality systems around their specific needs.
• Remain abreast of new processes and materials of construction through literature searches, trade association journals and show attendance, and developing close vendor ties.
• Conduct lab experiments and trials evaluating potential avenues, materials and/or processes for further enhancing the value to customers. Formulate new compounds as required and design and oversee manufacture of reinforcements.
• Work very closely with Purchasing to coordinate and leverage all possible, alternate vendors, alternate materials and volume shift to bring the most economic solutions.
• Participate as a leader and active team member in lean events, 5S, RIE events to give the Spring Hope organization even greater efficiency and productivity.
• Provide guidance, support and leadership toward product waste reduction and elimination.
• Develop requirements and standards to serve as a base for improvements and expansions for Engineering, Plant and Corporate
• Ensure that all materials, systems and processes are adequate to consistently provide service and products that meet or exceed customer expectations.
• Champion CBS initiatives whether related to workflow, inventory control, standardization or alignment with best practices, within and outside the Spring Hope Plant.
• Meet customer failure reports with quick initial responses and follow with root cause analysis, seeing that those with higher complexity undergo 8D Problem Solving scrutiny until validation is reached.
• Maintain all chemical, belting, textile and accurate bill of materials and routings within SAP for accurate inventory backflush and costing.
• Collaborate with Business Unit leadership and Lightweight Belting commercial team to determine product development priorities.
• Focus development efforts to meet or exceed 15%+ sales though new product entries.
• Guide development efforts to success through vigorous Design reviews, Process and Product FMEA’s
• Responsible for generating Sales Funnel for Lightweight CB products and other reports required by leadership to assure full transparency and awareness.
• Provide thorough employee performance feedback regularly, at least twice per year, so they can become more valuable advocates and contributors to building a solid future.
• Serve or lead all plant teams including Operating Committee, Project Updates, Management Reviews, Plant Council, and all other above. Demonstrate a helpful attitude with all plant associates and a willingness to raise their issues in order to be dealt with appropriately.
• Lend full support ensuring the plant and all activity within is safely conducted. All training, equipment, PPE and jobrelated duties provide a clean environment where no one is placed at risk of injury.
4 year degree in Polymer Science, Chemical Engineering or Chemistry
2-5 years work experience supporting manufacturing projects in a plant setting.
MS Office (Excel, Word, Access) experience
Team player – ability to work with various functional areas and levels of management
Ability to work in research lab to complete sample preparation and testing
Must be able to clearly communicate complicated instructions to manufacturing associates.
Proficient in the use of SAP to manage designs/BOMs/costs
A strong track record in managing multiple projects and priorities
Must have a strong statistical background
Use of 6 sigma, DFSS, DFMEA, and/or other process improvement tools
Able to deal with multiple requests, multiple reporting lines, and a fast paced environment
Ability to travel 15% to various locations.
Textile, fabric design, and urethane experience.
EEO / AA / Disabled / Protected Veteran Employer. Continental offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to unlawful consideration to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. In addition, as a federal contractor, Continental complies with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities, where they apply. To be considered, you must apply for a specific position for which Continental has a current posted job opening. Qualifying applications will be considered only for the specific opening(s) to which you apply. If you would like to be considered for additional or future job openings, we encourage you to reapply for other opportunities as they become available. Further, Continental provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance in the application process, please reply to NAFTArecruiting@continental-corporation.com or contact US Recruiting at 248.209.4000.
Division Footer Text Ready to drive with Continental? Take the first step and fill in the online application.