Bi-State Development Chief - MetroBus Operations in St. Louis, Missouri
Bi-State Development/MetroBus is seeking a dynamic leader to assume the role of Director, MetroBus Operations. This position is responsible for oversight of all MetroBus services to provide on-time service for customers throughout the St. Louis metropolitan area. Oversees the MetroBus Operations Control functions providing management and supervision of all on street services. The position reports to the Executive Director, Metro Transit.
As part of Metro transit, the St. Louis metropolitan region’s public transportation system, MetroBus operates a fleet of approximately 400 vehicles serving 78 bus routes in Missouri and Illinois. MetroBus is recognized nationally and around the world as a leader across many industry standards, including on-time performance, per-mile operating costs, customer satisfaction, and efficiency and reliability – with MetroBus vehicles operating without a breakdown four times longer than the industry average. MetroBus recorded more than 29.4 million boardings during fiscal year 2015.
- Provide leadership, direction to MetroBus staff responsible for all daily, emergency and special event activities involving Metro Bus Operations.
- Coordinates with Planning Department and oversees implementation of plans to ensure effective bus service during regular operations and for frequent special services, emergencies or events.
- Directs the use of $80,000,000 budget in order to meet operating and service standards and to provide excellent service to customers. May also serve as project manager on capital projects specific to MetroBus.
- Develops tracking and reporting systems to effectively measure and improve system performance. Prepares and assists in the development of work practices and administrative procedures, productivity measures, performance criteria and standards
- Plans for contingencies inherent in Mass Transportation including bus bridges for MetroLink, service interruptions, disaster drills, medical emergencies, inclement weather contingencies and emergency situations in the community. Represents Agency and interacts with government officials in planning disaster and evacuation plans in the case of local or national emergencies.
- Attends and participates in appropriate meetings, and high-level planning sessions, inside and outside of the Agency, which are pertinent to the execution of the functional responsibilities of MetroBus operations.
- Evaluates and analyzes the performance of principal segments of Metrobus operations to include trends in bus breakdowns, accidents/incidents, scheduling, delays, on-time performance, etc., and recommends effective action to be taken to increase efficiency and effectiveness. Coordinates operational needs with maintenance and all other support functions.
- Maintains effective working relationship with Local Division 788 of the Amalgamated Transit Union.
- Works with Labor Relations staff to negotiate the settlement of grievances and other union related matters.
- Accountable for the operation of the MetroBus Control Center which is responsible for the 24/7 safe, effective operation and coordination of Managers and Bus Operators and all other support functions. Ensures that appropriate operational/administrative decisions are made by MetroBus operations.
- Accountable for insuring sound operating rules, effective deployment and management of the Bus Operator and Transit Service Manager workforces.
This is a highly visible position that requires at least 10 years of progressively responsible experience at the senior management level, particularly a union environment. Demonstrated ability to manage all facets of bus operations and administrative work, including considerable experience with managing bus operations activities that demonstrate the ability to plan, coordinate, and supervise and develop staff.
Must demonstrate ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Extensive experience providing leadership and evaluating the work of management employees as well as, the effectiveness of managers and programs. Ability to create or adapt programs to achieve Metro’s goals. Ability to set goals, establish priorities and motivate management staff to achieve for excellence in providing transportation services.
A Bachelor's degree is required, Master's degree preferred.
A minimum of ten (10) years experience in transportation or a related field.
Ten (10) year experience in senior management or leadership position.
Tracking Code: 292192-713
Job Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular