Bi-State Development RF Communication Technician in St. Louis, Missouri
To provide 24/7/365 technical support of the Agency’s mission critical Land Mobile Radio (LMR) subscriber units, base stations, repeaters, voters, simulcast controllers and associated network infrastructure; including specialized LMR related Windows and non-Windows based servers, personal computer (PC) workstations, networking equipment, network configuration and change management tools and repositories and Voice Over Internet Protocol command and control infrastructure, as well as the Agency’s mobile video and fixed/mobile audio systems equipment.
- Review existing multi-site LMR systems and effect necessary repairs and/or recommend changes to ensure peak efficiency.
- Monitor and evaluate existing systems for trends of non-performance and the possible reasons for the lack of performance, making recommendations on changes that would return systems to peak performance.
- Evaluate system failure and repair reports for trends, and recommend changes to minimize trends.
- Create, update, and/or review system procedures and documentation on an ongoing basis.
- Design, test, and implement system modifications, document all changes and ensure modifications meet FCC rules and regulations, where applicable.
- Install, maintain and repair wide area mobile data systems and equipment.
- Install, maintain, and repair LMR systems and equipment in compliance with FCC rules and regulations.
- Install, maintain, and repair LMR infrastructure, including but not limited to; repairing and/or replacing LMR related Windows and non-Windows based servers and workstations, network equipment, and other command and control infrastructure.
- Configure LMR related Windows and non-Windows based server/client communications equipment and supporting Voice Over Internet Protocol command and control infrastructure.
- Program and/or repair LMR subscriber and network infrastructure equipment using vendor specific Radio Service Software (RSS).
- Maintain mobile CCTV and public address systems and equipment.
- Maintain fixed facility public address and synchronized clock systems and equipment.
- Perform Preventive Maintenance checks of all supported systems and equipment.
- Examine, test, clean, and replace electronic parts, wiring, cable, connectors, surge protectors, etc.
- Calibrate test equipment, as required.
- Maintain parts inventory by recording all parts used, advising supervisor when parts are required and performing inventory tasks.
- Provide user(s) instruction in the proper operation of all supported systems and equipment.
- Respond to user inquiries, support requests and trouble reports.
Work varying hours, as required, to insure mission critical equipment remains operational 24/7/365. Required Skills
- RF propagation and theory.
- Unique combinations of both multi-site RF communications system and computer/networking skills.
- Wide area mobile data networks and equipment.
- Use of various electronic communications test equipment including communications system analyzers, T1 test sets, signal analyzers, network analyzers, RSS software, etc.
- Standards and practices of the installation, repair, and maintenance of Motorola, Kenwood and M/A-COM LMR equipment to ensure effective and efficient operation of such equipment in a mission critical 24/7/365 environment while complying FCC Rules and Regulations.
- FCC rules and regulations governing the use and repair of LMR equipment, including subscriber units and fixed network infrastructure.
- Troubleshoot and repair of electronic communications equipment to component level i.e. microprocessors, IC's, transistors, etc…
- CAD/AVL, mobile digital video recorders, CCTV, telephony and public address systems and equipment.
- Troubleshooting of malfunctioning communications equipment to sufficiently identify, resolve, and/or repair malfunctions, returning equipment to a pre-failure state of operation in the shortest amount of time possible.
- Read schematics, block diagrams, and flow charts in order to maintain or repair all supported electronic systems and equipment.
- Windows, Non-Windows, and/or DOS based operating systems and applications used in an LMR environment.
- In addition to strong electronic and RF skills, a solid Networking background is required, up to and including LAN, WAN, WLAN, configuration management , etc.
- Computer Literacy, i.e.; word processing, spreadsheets, email, and installing and configuring software, etc.
- Tools and equipment used in the repair and maintenance of electronic communications equipment.
- Provide effective direction to others.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with groups from diverse backgrounds and technical abilities.
- Participate in teams of technical, professional, and non-management members.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions sufficient to carry out electronic communication equipment installation, maintenance and repair.
- Work independently, set priorities, work under pressure, and adapt to a constantly changing set of priorities.
- Physically lift and carry equipment, supplies, and tools. Required Experience
Two-year college or technical certification in Electronics, RF Communications. Five (5) years in Electronics, RF Communications.
Tracking Code: 292213-713
Job Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular