IDEXX 3rd Shift Laboratory Supervisor - Generalist in St. Petersburg, Florida
EXCITING OPPORTUNITY WITH IDEXX LABORATORIES – THE INTERNATIONAL LEADER IN VETERINARY DIAGNOSTICS
*We are now recruiting for a Laboratory Supervisor for our St. Petersburg, FL Diagnostic Reference Lab. *
Laboratory Supervisor supervises day-to-day activities in an animal diagnostic reference laboratory unit/group/area/department, performing laboratory analyses and tests to diagnose various pet and other animal illnesses, injuries and diseases in support of veterinarian animal treatment. Supervises staff, assigning work and evaluating results. Contributes to the development of operating policies and procedures.
*Prior supervisory experience is a must for this role. Candidates with experience in Hematology, Chemistry, Urinalysis, Serology, and Parasitology testing are highly preferred. *
*This is a 3rd shift, Monday-Friday (some occasional Saturdays) position. *
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises day-to-day activities in a laboratory unit/group/area, performing laboratory analyses and tests to diagnose various pet and other animal illnesses, injuries and diseases in support of veterinarian animal treatment.
- Supervises staff, assigning work, monitoring activities and evaluating performance. Resolves escalated issues. Administers employment actions, provides coaching and guidance to staff and promotes staff training and development. Provides input to department policies and procedures.
- Leads work activities of the lab unit/group/area/department, planning and organizing work, providing for adequate staffing and resources and maintaining work on schedule so that ongoing customer satisfaction is maintained.
- Communicates with other related departments to coordinate work and resolve issues as needed.
- Contributes to maintenance of department diagnostic equipment and other technical resources. Coordinates with internal personnel, vendors and others as needed to resolve issues and maintain ongoing functionality.
- Prepares reports, presentations and other information summarizing work activities. Prepares various analyses as needed to highlight issues and resolve questions.
- Maintains knowledge of changes and developments in the industry affecting work activities. May participate in outside industry groups and forums related to business activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to and models the IDEXX Purpose & Guiding Principles.
IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. is a leader in pet healthcare innovation, serving practicing veterinarians around the world with a broad range of diagnostic and information technology-based products and services. IDEXX products enhance the ability of veterinarians to provide advanced medical care, improve staff efficiency and build more economically successful practices. IDEXX is also a worldwide leader in providing diagnostic tests and information for livestock and poultry and tests for the quality and safety of water and milk. Headquartered in Maine, IDEXX Laboratories employs more than 6,000 people and offers products to customers in over 175 countries.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience required, preferably in Science-related field.
- Typically, 5-7+ years related work experience, with in-depth experience in the area(s) supervised.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Supervisory skills and leadership ability.
- Typically supervises moderate-size and/or less complex work group.
- Typically supervises staff in a Regional/Core lab.
- Ability to develop team and to coach, develop and guide individuals.
- Leadership; proven track record of leading teams within multiple departments in clinical lab or vet clinic.
- Strong time management skills and ability to meet deadlines/TAT of results on a daily basis.
- May supervise Bench/Associate Supervisors.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and direct work activities.
- Experience with the operations, testing and services of the area(s) supervised, including setting up, reading and releasing test results and troubleshooting equipment.
- Extensive laboratory skills and experience.
- Reasoning and analytical skills to resolve issues.
- Communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Personal computer skills, including Microsoft Office.
- Extensive sitting, phone and computer use.
- Capable of standing continuously for up to 2 hours.
- Extend and reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers.
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- May be required to lift, move and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Hearing acuity sufficient to effectively communicate with customers and Employees via telephone and in person.
- Ability to communicate verbally on phone and in person.
- Fluency in the English language.
- Extended hours may be required.
- Some travel required.
- Laboratory environment with potential biohazards present.
- Potential for exposure to agents known to cause zoonotic disease in humans and use of potentially hazardous chemicals as defined by the National Hazard Communication Standards. A complete list of such chemicals is available from department supervision.
While we appreciate our staffing partners, we are unable to accept unsolicited agency resumes
Job: Reference Lab Operations
Primary Location: Americas-United States-Florida-St. Petersburg FL
Overtime Status: Exempt
Job Posting: Aug 23, 2016, 1:13:09 PM
Req ID: 10129248-20160819