Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Academic Emergency Medicine Physician in Syracuse, New York
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Syracuse, NY
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 8/26/2016 (181 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 8/25/2017 (183 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): T1787181
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
You may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
NOTE: Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected.
Recruitment/Relocation incentive may be authorized.
This position involves:
- Teaching house-staff from the State University of New York Upstate Medical University.
- Must be eligible for an academic appointment with the State University of New York Upstate Medical University.
Academic Emergency Medicine Physician: The Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC), Syracuse, New York has a full-time employment opportunity in its state-of-the-art Emergency Department. Candidates must be board certified/eligible by the American Board of Emergency Medicine. The Syracuse VAMC is an active teaching hospital affiliated with the State University of New York (SUNY) Upstate Medical University (UMU). As this position involves teaching house-staff, the successful candidate must qualify for an academic appointment with SUNY UMU. Applicants must possess a full and unrestricted license in any State. The VA offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience using VA's market based physician pay system, and a generous Federal benefits package. Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter and current CV to Kathryn.Impelizzieri2@va.gov or fax (315) 425-2447. Information on the Syracuse VAMC can be found at www.syracuse.va.gov . Position is subject to random drug testing. The Syracuse VAMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Work Schedule: Full-Time
- Not Required
- U.S. Citizen
- Eligible for an Academic Appointment
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Board eligible/certified in Emergency Medicine
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- Eligible for an Academic Appointment.
- Board certified/board eligible in Emergency Medicine.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Moderate Lifting (15-44 lbs); Light Carrying (under 15 lbs); Straight Pulling (up to 2 hours); Pushing (up to 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 3 hours); Standing (up to 3 hours); Kneeling (up to 1.5 hours); Repeated bending (up to 1 hour); Ability to rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Hearing (aid permitted); Clear speech.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided). Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. The VHA physician brochure provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Salary Range: $100,957.00 to $348,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-15/15
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 448798200
Job Announcement Number: WV-16-KI-1787181-SR