Washington State Business Intelligence Group Supervisor (ITS6) in Tumwater, Washington
Business Intelligence Group Supervisor (ITS6)
Research and Data Analytics Office of the Deputy Secretary
Headquarters - Tumwater, WA
**NOTE: This position is open until filled. The employer reserves the right to make a hiring action at any time.
The Department of Corrections (DOC) is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Business Intelligence Group Supervisor - Information Technology Specialist 6 (ITS6) within Research and Data Analytics, Office of the Deputy Secretary. This position will be located at DOC Headquarters in Tumwater, Washington.
If you are interested in applying and would like to be considered, please apply directly at careers.wa.gov and attach the following to your application:
- Letter of Interest, (no more than two (2) pages), indicating how you meet the qualifications and why you believe you are the ideal candidate for this position.
- Current Resume (with relevant experience listed).
- Minimum of three (3) professional references including contact email address and phone number.
We are looking for evidence in your application materials that you have the experience, skills, and abilities indicated in this job posting. Qualified applicants whose responses most closely match the requirements of this position may be invited to interview. Carefully review your application before submitting. All information may be verified and documentation may be required. The initial screening will be solely based on the contents and completeness of the application materials submitted.
Whether the work is inside a prison, in community corrections, or in an administrative office, the Washington State DOC professional staff experience a high degree of personal satisfaction knowing they are creating environments in which all offenders can learn to make choices that contribute to a safer society.
The DOC, as a partner in the criminal justice system, enhances public safety, administers criminal sanctions and programs in accordance with the law, and provides leadership for the future of corrections in Washington State. The DOC consists of the Office of the Secretary, the Office of the Deputy Secretary, Prisons Division, Offender Change Division, Community Corrections Division, Administrative Operations Division, Health Services Division, Correctional Industries, Reentry Division and the Indeterminate Sentence Review Board. The DOC employs over 8,300 staff and has a biennial budget of approximately $1.9 billion.
- Comprehensive compensation packages;
- Training and development opportunities;
- Flexible Schedules; and
- The fulfillment of public service.
This position is the highest technical level of authority for Department of Corrections (DOC) in the area of Enterprise Business Intelligence (BI) solutions and data warehouse (DW), which enable DOC to make data-driven programs and policy decisions. This position functions as a key resource within the Research and Data Analytics (RDA) division to ensure efficient, accurate, timely, and useful data to inform operations and budget and support performance measures, research, and evaluation. The BI Group Supervisor is responsible for the architecture, implementation, and maintenance of DOC BI Enterprise efforts, including those around the DW, and the creation and maintenance of reports from the Offender Management Network Information (OMNI) system. This position directly supervises a team of BI and DW developers using SQL Analysis Service, and SQL Server Management Studio, and object-oriented programming languages. This position requires close collaboration with various DOC business units, IT units, and other State agencies. This position is also responsible for working with IT management to establish the data governance and DW standards, ensure documentation of all work, and recommend ongoing solutions that support consistent, timely, and efficient data processing.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Lead and supervise a team of BI and DW developers.
- Create and deploy BI solutions that enable DOC to make data-driven programs and policy decisions. BI solutions may include dashboard-style or drill-down enterprise reporting solutions, data querying and data-mining tools, leveraging multi-dimensional databases, and Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) cubes.
- Lead development and delivery of agency-wide BI and DW solutions according to enterprise DW standards and processes.
- Aggregate data from multiple sources in an efficient DW to design enterprise-level solutions for large multidimensional databases.
Mentor, coach, and motivate staff in developing quality BI and DW solutions. Lead and supervise DW development and maintenance activities pertaining to data modeling, data integrity, data cleansing, data scrubbing, data mining, Extract-Transform-Load (ETL), strategic BI planning, performance tuning, and analyses of legacy data.
Plan, analyze, and lead strategic BI initiatives that align with the DOC business direction and strategies.
- Coordinate, monitor, and supervise ongoing DW development and maintenance activities pertaining to scope, objectives, estimates, designs, and coding.
- Automate ETL processes and develop a BI architecture that ensures security and non-redundancy of enterprise data.
Read query plans, conduct tuning indexes, and troubleshoot performance bottlenecks. Develop and implement standards and procedures for data integrity, data modeling, BI solutions architecture, and DW architecture.
Establish and maintain the DOC standards and procedures for data integrity, data modeling, BI solutions architecture, and DW architecture.
- Ensure appropriate documentation to support business needs.
- Consultant with executive management in the issues of BI and DW solutions. Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field from an accredited institution whose accreditation is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), or foreign equivalent.
- Seven (7) years of experience in BI solutions.
- Experience with BI tools such as OLAP cube.
- Experience with database design, dimensional modeling, DW, BI/analytic tools.
- Demonstrated experience in using relational data architecture and reporting tools to design and develop reports to meet specifications.
- Proficient in SQL – Query development and performance improvements.
- Experience in doing data analysis and profiling.
Knowledge of ETL and Data integration. Desired:
Experience with innovative BI technologies such as Power View and SharePoint Dashboard.
- Exposure to data modeling, predictive analytics, and forecasting techniques.
- Experience with agile, scrum, iterative, or waterfall development/project methodologies.
- At least one of the following professional Level-2 certification as defined by the Department of Defense 8570.01-M Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program: Security+, GSEC, SCNP, SSCP.
- Experience in resolving data quality assurance issues in connection with information delivery and development tasks.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert: Business Intelligence Solutions Expert (BISE) Certification. Supplemental Information
'The mission of DOC is to improve public safety.'
For additional information about the agency, please visit www.doc.wa.gov.
- All DOC employees are fingerprinted for a criminal history background check.
- Employees work with offenders in a potentially hazardous setting. Please consider this when deciding whether to apply.
- We are committed to maintaining a drug and alcohol free work environment, and our employees are expected to comply with all state and federal laws. A pre-employment drug test may be administered as part of the selection process, and applicants who test positive for any controlled substances, including marijuana, will be disqualified from consideration.
- Animal care projects are a common component of most Washington State prisons, including dog and cat programs. Applicants with animal sensitivities or allergies are encouraged to ask about the level of exposure they could expect in this position.
- Tuberculosis is a priority health issue for DOC employees. The successful candidate may be required to provide valid proof of a baseline TB skin test within 60 days from the date of hire. When positive tests result, further information, testing and treatment may also be required. Employment is not contingent upon test results. We are committed to hiring individuals who possess core diversity competencies:
- Foster a positive attitude and openness toward the ever changing social and cultural makeup of the workplace.
- Work effectively with men and women of different perspectives, abilities, disabilities, races, religions, ages, lifestyle preferences and social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Respectfully acknowledge people's differences and recognize these differences as important and valuable.
- Promote inclusiveness.
- Be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Respect and value diverse backgrounds and traditions. DOC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, honorably discharged veteran, veteran status, genetic information, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability.
For questions about this recruitment, how to apply, or to request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, please contact Eric Sund at 360-407-5744 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-07742
Department: Dept. of Corrections
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $69,648.00 - $91,332.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA