Washington State Dispatcher/Traffic Management Center Operator – TSSO3 – Non-Perm, On-Call in United States
NOTE: This posting will be used to establish a pool of qualified candidates for the WSDOT Southwest Region. Candidates who apply will remain in active applicant status until this pool closes on March 31, 2017. As open positions arise, qualified candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager.**
The Opportunity: The Washington State Department of Transportation in the Southwest Region Traffic Management Center (TMC) in Vancouver is currently seeking detail orientated individuals to fill non-permanent, on-calldispatch positions. The successful candidates will work when needed to substitute for full time employees who are on vacation leave, sick leave, attending training, and during emergency situations. These positions will require flexible individuals that can be available to work a variety of shifts to include day, swing, night, weekends, and holidays, sometimes with little notice to assist in the 24/7 operations of the TMC.
These non-permanent, on-call positions are located at the Southwest Region Headquarters, in a room full of computers, television monitors, and communication equipment shared in collaboration with the Washington State Patrol. TMC Operators monitor the traveling public and dispatch service calls to field staff. These positions operate the region's intelligent transportation systems such as traffic management systems and active traffic management (ATM). These systems include devices and facilities such as ramp meters, roadside cameras, variable message signs (VMS), variable speed & lane control signs, and highway advisory radio. The traffic and incident information collected is then passed on to motorists, response agencies, and the media. By keeping travelers informed, the Southwest Region TMC increases the efficiency and safety of the Regions state highways, freeways, and interstate roadways.
These positions are on-call. We do not guarantee set schedules or a specific number of hours each week. It is very important you read the entire announcement very carefully to the end and follow the instructions on how to apply.
These positions will perform the following work:
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, within WSDOT, with other agencies, and the general public, in emergency situations, and under stress and pressure.
- Operate a personal computer workstation utilizing engineering, computing, and work processing programs including but not limited to Excel, Word, Internet Explorer, and programs specifically designed for operating ITS equipment.
- Operate computer enhanced information systems.
- Operate multi-line telephones and an 800 MHz radio system.
- Update WSDOT website, Highway Advisory Radio (HAR), Next Gen Traffic Management System (NGTMS), and computer systems.
- Monitor video and traffic sensors.
- Independently observe and monitor camera images, computer images, and other electronic control systems.
- Alert maintenance personnel, WSP, and other agencies to receive and disseminate emergency information and potential hazards.
The ideal candidates for this position will have:
- Two years' experience operating radios, telephones and computers in an office environment working with multiple units OR one year experience operating radios, telephones and computers in an office environment working with multiple units and a dispatcher training certificate.
- The flexibility to work a variety of shifts to include day, swing, night, weekends, and holidays to assist in 24/7 operations of the TMC.
- Intermediate typing / keyboarding skills, 35 wpm minimum.
- Efficiently perform multiple functions and provide customer service using a radio, telephone, computer, and in-person contact.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively to a diverse group of professionals and customers.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and under stressful situations.
- The ability to sit for long periods of time during emergency situations.
- Pass a Washington State Patrol security background check.
Note:This position is covered by a union shop provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, candidates who are appointed are required to become members of the WFSE, or arrange to pay to that union a fee equivalent to its regular monthly dues. The union shop provision shall be effective on the first day of the month following the employee's initial 30 days in this classification.
How to Apply:Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us:For inquiries about this position, please contact Rachel Gieseat 360-905-2223 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 2016-SWR-TMC Pool 1.
**Employment, Education and Criminal History Verification
Due to the nature of this position a comprehensive background check will be conducted on the final candidate(s) prior to hire. Applicants will be required to sign a release of authorization prior to conducting the background check. Applicants will be notified prior to any adverse hire action taken as a result of a background check. Information received from the background check does not automatically make a candidate ineligible for employment. However, candidates that provide false or misleading information in their application and/or authorization may be eliminated from any further consideration. If you have questions regarding this process, please contact the recruiter listed above.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call the Office of Human Resources, at 360.705.7042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Type: On-Call
Job Number: 2016-SWR-TMC Pool 1
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Closing: 3/31/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $17.21 - $22.45 Hourly
Location: Clark County – Vancouver, WA