Colony Brands Technical Design/Apparel Quality Assurance Internship in United States
Colony Brands, Inc. is one of the world’s largest and most successful direct marketing catalog and e-Commerce companies. Bringing great designs to fruition requires critical thinking and strong communication skills and we are seeking an Intern who desires to hone their skills with our Apparel Technical Design and Quality Assurance teams. This internship is a great opportunity for a student who wants to step outside of contribute to the garment development process and perfecting the fit of apparel ranging from knit tops to evening wear.
The Technical Design/Apparel Quality Assurance Internship will begin in January and end in May 2017.
What You’ll Do
At Colony Brands, our Technical Design and Quality Assurance teams work with collaboratively with our Merchandisers, Designers and Vendors to build our product from the “front-end”. Your work will center on garment construction and fit of apparel for selected company brands and catalogs Missy & Plus sizes. Your work will involve preparing specifications, fitting and providing correction directions to vendors from live model fit sessions. You’ll communicate with vendors and internal team members to acquire samples, specs, and other needed information or documentation. You’ll also contribute to:
- The technical design process from initial development to final fit in specific classifications of product
- Identifying problem items early in the spec development phase so that corrective action can be taken prior to factory issue
- Development hand-off meetings and determining technical design related requirements for all products
- Relaying information, changes, and feedback from fit sessions to Merchandisers, Suppliers, & internal team members
- Resolving TOP issues, Production Issues, and Returns.
What It Takes
We are seeking someone with good communication skills, who thrives on solving problems and working in a team environment. Ideally you will be pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Fashion Design/Merchandising with an emphasis in Design/Patternmaking. In addition, Internship Applicants must:
- Be a Junior or Senior in college
- Have a 2.8 cumulative GPA or higher
- A good working knowledge of MS Office and Windows applications.
- Above average organizational skills
What You’ll Get
The ability to positively impact the fit of our apparel, return rates, and customer satisfaction in a family-owned, people-oriented company in business since 1926. Colony Brands is not just about growing our profits – We are about giving our employees and Interns the opportunity for growth. We also offer our interns employee discounts on company merchandise in addition to a competitive wage.
The Technical Design/QA intern will use and develop the following skills during their term:
- Understanding of practical applications of design for mass market retailers.
- Insight into the product development lifecycle from original concept to final delivery.
- Ongoing written and verbal communication to company management.
- Ability to evaluate key fit issues and translate corrections effectively.
- Problem resolution to meet delivery expectations.