Indian Health Service Maintenance Worker (WB9906) in Wanblee, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Wanblee, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/18/2016 (7 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/31/2016 (6 day(s) away)
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Facilities Department, Wanblee*, South Dakota. * Position reports to the Civil Engineering Technician.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicant who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
- Plumbing Duties: Installs, modifies, and performs preventive maintenance on various plumbing systems
- Electrical Duties: Installs, modifies, maintains and performs preventative maintenance on various low voltage electrical systems in the Health Center.
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) and Refrigeration Duties: Installs, modifies, maintains and performs preventive maintenance on HVAC systems in the Health Center.
- Specialty Specialty System Duties: Maintains and performs preventive maintenance on various Specialty Systems in the Health Center.
- Carpentry and Painting Duties: Reading blue prints sketches or work orders, selecting materials, measuring dimensions; constructing, installing modifying and repairs. Paints exteriors of buildings and structures. Applies primer and finish coats of paint to prepare surfaces of wood, metal or concrete
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): WG-07: Experience and training that included the following simple oral or written instructions and/or work orders; performing maintenance mechanic duties, including use and apply standard building techniques, practices, and codes, read and understand blueprints, sketches and schematics, read and understand work orders in order to complete assigned work, use and maintain pneumatic hand tools, use and maintain shop tools, drill press, band saw, table saw, etc., follow manufacturer's instructions for use of power tools, follow safety manuals on operation of tools and equipment, follow safety guidelines working with oils and lubricants, working with inert gases and solvents, acids, adhesives, sealants, paints, oils and lubricants while performing maintenance tasks.
*WG-08: *WG-8 Experience and training that included following simple oral or written instructions and/or work orders; performing maintenance mechanic duties, including use and apply standard building techniques, practices, and codes, read and understand blueprints, sketches and schematics, read and understand work orders in order to complete assigned work, use and maintain pneumatic hand tools, use and maintain shop tools, drill press, band saw, table saw, etc., follow manufacturer's instructions for use of power tools, follow safety manuals on operation of tools and equipment, follow safety guidelines working with oils and lubricants, working with inert gases and solvents, acids, adhesives, sealants, paints, oils and lubricants while performing maintenance tasks, respond to frequent changes in instructions, with respect to the team, project and/or task.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Monday, October 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Drug testing is not required.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- A two-year trial period may be required upon selection/placement (ESEP only)
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $18.98 to $23.76 / Per Hour
Series & Grade: WG-4749-07/08
Promotion Potential: 08
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible or Schedule A or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 453629800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R1-GP-1797777 ESEP/MP