Human Rights Campaign Communications Assistant in Washington, District Of Columbia
We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, women, and non-LGBTQ persons to apply.
The Communications Assistant will report to the Senior Vice President of Communications & Marketing, and provide administrative support to the Senior Vice President and to the Communications Department.
- Assist in coordinating press for the Human Rights Campaign;
- Assist the SR VP of Communications and Marketing with all administrative duties including answering phones, scheduling meetings, travel and appointments, managing department meetings, reporting expenses and processing check requests;
- Serve as initial point of contact for press inquiries and providing support for media outreach efforts;
- Create writings, including press releases, media advisories, talking points, letters to the editor and various other communication priorities;
- Draft communication documents that will be used for outside media;
- Produce written material whether for the web or other various forms of both external and internal communication needs;
- Hire, train, and supervise communications interns;
- Coordinate and oversee media monitoring and the clip process;
- Maintain lists of media contacts;
- Maintain subscriptions to periodicals and the periodicals database;
- Maintain files and other resources of materials for the Communications Department’s needs;
- Maintain contracts and relationship with consultants and external entities providing services to the Communications Department;
- Assist in the implementation of media plans;
- Assist with any other assignments and tasks as requested by the Communications Department and SR VP of Communications and Marketing;
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma required, Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent work experience;
- At least one year of experience with organizational communications, preferably a Capitol Hill press office;
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Exceptional writing talent as well as the communications skills necessary to elicit the right information from a variety of sources;
- Excellent analytical and creative skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure while simultaneously handling multiple projects to meet tight deadlines;
- Must be comfortable working in a high-volume environment and the ability to closely follow the messaging of the organization on a wide variety of issues.
- Strong interest in and knowledge of the rapidly changing LGBTQ equality movement.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
*No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status. *
Tracking Code: 222-928
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular