House of Representatives Information Systems Security Analyst (Malware) in Washington, District Of Columbia
House of Representatives
- 1 vacancy - Washington DC, DC
Work Schedule is Full-Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/11/2016 (13 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/24/2016 (0 day(s) away)
About the Agency
The Office of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) provides operations support services and business solutions to the community of 10,000 House Members, Officers and staff. The CAO organization comprises more than 600 technical and administrative staff working in a variety of areas, including information technology, finance, budget management, human resources, payroll, child care, food and vending, procurement, logistics and administrative counsel.
Provides knowledge in the development and effective application of information security tools, policies, and procedures in support of the Information Systems Security Program for the U.S. House of Representatives. Provide assistance in monitoring of systems and computer networks to identify and track malicious activities and events. Performs systems administration and technical duties relating to information security initiatives. Conducts technical security reviews and risk assessments of software systems, including databases and web-enabled applications, to ensure security requirements are met prior to and after implementation. Provides technical assistance to Member, Committee, and Support Offices to mitigate security vulnerabilities and incidents. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities. This position may require the ability to work shifts to provide 24 hours a day, 7 days a week technical support for the House information security technology infrastructure.
- Performs systems administration work to ensure all security systems are properly configured and operating at the latest patch levels.
- Examine and reverse engineer malicious software such as bots, worms, and Trojans to understand the nature of their threat.
- Support detection, containment, and eradication of Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) activities targeting House networks.
- Analyze and document malicious software’s attack capabilities, understand propagation techniques, and define signatures for detecting and mitigating future instances of the threat.
- Ensures security system backups are configured, completed successfully, and securely stored.
- Monitor, triage, and mitigate attempted data and system access violations using system-produced reports and investigates data security violations.
- Conducts in-depth technical security reviews and risk assessments of software systems during all phases of the system development life cycle and provides recommendations for improvements.
- Participates in the development of technical security standards to support policies including monitoring standards and incident investigation procedures.
- Identify and classify malware types; provide countermeasure recommendations; and assess impact to the House network.
- Supports the Security Operations Center on complex initiatives by collaborating in tool or use case development, developing response processes and procedures, and performs continuous process improvements, which may include documentation, mentoring, and/or training sessions.
- Propose, develop, implement or maintain new technologies or procedures that could be used to advance the ability to detect and mitigate malicious activity.
- Performs in-depth attack analysis using a variety of security tools in support of event and incident response triage, mitigation and reporting.
- Publishes/drafts incidents, alerts, and advisories as required.
- Works closely with vendors to resolve issues and manage security systems.
- Conduct computer security investigations. Identify, acquire, and archive forensic evidence; prepare results reports; and interact with Members, House Officers, and staff.
- Develop and maintain security policies, procedures, and checklists.
- Provide 24/7 coverage of security functions.
- Performs other official duties as assigned.
- Grade level at time of appointment determined by professional experience and designated level of responsibility. Range: HS-10 to HS-10.
Bachelor’s degree in related field and at least four (4) years of equivalent work experience related; two (2) years of specific experience with Network Security or Computer Security or Cybersecurity Forensics.
CISSP, CEH or equivalent certification preferred but not required.
Incumbent must be able to secure and maintain at least a Federal Government SECRET security clearance. An active Secret clearance or higher is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience administering and maintaining information security systems.
- Experience administering network operating systems, security appliances, and associated databases.
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following: media analysis, preservation, e-discovery; forensics, or malware reverse engineering.
- Experience in monitoring and implementing information security policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with elected officials, senior staff, information systems professionals, and technical and non-technical users.
- Ability to comprehend and integrate complex issues into an event mitigation plan.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, users, contractors, and vendors.
- Ability to obtain CISSP certification within 12 months from hire.
What To Expect Next
Highly qualified candidates will be contacted directly.
Review our benefits
The U.S. House of Representatives offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes vacation and sick leave, holidays, health/life insurance, and excellent retirement program options.
Flexible Spending Accounts - http://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp Health Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp Life Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp Long Term Care Insurance - http://www.ltcfeds.com Retirement Program - http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
Salary Range: $92,571.00 to $92,571.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: HS-2210-10/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Applicants will be accepted from U.S. Citizens.
Control Number: 453059000
Job Announcement Number: HIR-044-16