Human Rights Campaign Online Strategy Writer in Washington, District Of Columbia
We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, women, and non-LGBTQ persons to apply.
Creative and compelling storytelling is at the heart of this position. The Online Strategy Writer will craft brilliant, persuasive copy that tells our story in a relevant and persuasive manner that is reflective of our brand and mission. The Online Strategy Writer will have a vision and innovative writing style that captures the voice of HRC, including our President. This position will create content that is designed to engage HRC’s constituency and empower them to take action and inspire them to contribute.
The Online Strategy Writer will be nimble, and be able to turn things around on a dime—while juggling multiple assignments simultaneously.
The Online Strategy Writer will work closely with an experienced membership and online strategy team to produce powerful content to be used across multiple digital platforms including email, mobile, and social media. The Online Strategy Writer will also serve as an editor, as well as our “quality control” manager for all national and local communications that are both fundraising and advocacy.
The Online Strategy Writer will work closely with many other key stakeholders throughout the organization including but not limited to the executive, field and communications teams, as well as external strategists and partners.
- Serve as the ghostwriter for a variety of HRC senior staff including our President, and capture their voices just as they were writing themselves.
- Draft and edit strong copy for national advocacy campaigns, national fundraising campaigns, high-level state campaigns and other communication initiatives including, but not limited to, emails, landing pages, social media posts, and text messages.
- Draft content with the knowledge and understanding of the best practices for online communications and the unique goals for the many different types of campaigns.
- As the team lead for copy routing: help ensure all approvals are received, edits are implemented and that copy is grammatically correct.
- Ability to be cross-trained for technical build-out and implementation of email, action pages and social media campaigns.
- Be available when needed for urgent on-call situations, possibly weekends.
- Have a keen awareness of the online calendar to ensure issue cultivation and planning and ensure appropriate overlay amongst other departmental schedules.
- Review additional online materials as needed, proofreading for quality and accuracy, adherence to organizational structure and style, consistency, and appropriateness of content.
- Advise on selecting supporting photography, images and graphics that reflect our messaging and strategy.
- Represent the Online Strategy team at cross-organizational meetings; take and circulate notes. Meet regularly with our program and foundation staff as well as the individuals we serve to facilitate collaboration and ensure our material is reflective of our work and accurate (including fact-checking).
- Monitor key external media outlets that cover relevant news topics, as well as internal press releases, blog posts, field updates, etc. Proactively identify relevant opportunities and subject areas for HRC story angles.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. Two to four years’ relevant work experience preferred. Communications, English, Marketing or Journalism degree preferred.
- Candidates with less than two years of relevant work experience will be considered for hiring at the "Junior Writer" level.
- Experience writing for advertising, marketing campaigns, online fundraising or advocacy, direct mail or persuasion mail is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, handle multiple priorities simultaneously, and work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- The ability to inspire others through writing.
- Attention to detail with exceptional written, verbal, and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to others.
- Superior writing, editing, and grammatical skills.
- Works well independently, as well as on a team.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Available when needed for urgent on-call situations, possibly weekends.
- Strong interest in and knowledge of the rapidly changing LGBTQ equality movement.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
*No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status. *
Tracking Code: 220-928
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular