Amtrak Portfolio Manager - 90205992 - Washington in Washington, District Of Columbia
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The Engineering Portfolio Manager is a member of the PMCOE team, responsible for supporting the portfolio governance process, analysis of portfolio investments, and reporting to enable effective decision making and delivering business value for Amtrak. Specific responsibilities include:
• Supports the intake process of projects through the governance process, inclusive of Engineering projects and broader Amtrak initiatives.
• Partners closely with business partners to analyze new projects and readiness for governance decisions and provides transparency of portfolio investments.
• Manages the financials of the portfolio of work, monitors actuals and works with the project managers to review forecasting against budgets.
• Supports the governance and project status review meetings.
• Manages portfolio management artifacts, decisions, communications, metrics, and reporting.
• Develops and delivers project management training to improve consistency and quality in project delivery.
• Build strong relationships within Amtrak to understand the business challenges and opportunities.
• Create a collaborative partnership among executive leaders and portfolio stakeholders and enables resource demand planning, change management, and project pipeline planning decisions.
• Support the creation of project management best practices, tools, and ways for Amtrak to drive efficiency in order to reduce costs and add value.
• Adheres to Amtrak Enterprise Project Management methodology.
WORK EXPERIENCE :
• Demonstrated project portfolio management skills (project intake, resource demand planning, budget management)
• Strong project management skills
• Strong focus on collaboration, team building, and customer service
• Demonstrated skill running effective meetings and getting buy-in and participation from executive leaders
• Effectiveness working diplomatically across teams with varying objectives.
• Strong oral and written communication skills across all levels
• Ability to organize and present project portfolio reports, proposals, and other related portfolio information
• Facilitate governance, project reviews, steering, and other project related meetings
• Engineering and Construction project lifecycle
• Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, MS Project), MS SharePoint
• Extensive practitioner experience with project and portfolio management. Project Management core competencies: (scope, time, budget, risk, quality, integration, resource management, and communications). Requirements gathering and analysis experience.
• Must have work authorization in the United States.
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE :
• PfMP (Candidate must be willing to become certified within 18 months of being placed into this position)
• Consulting experience
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS :
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : No
Requisition ID: 23883
Posting Location(s): District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Personnel Area: DC03
Job Family/Function: Government Affairs
Relocation Offered: No
Education Requirements: Masters Degree
Travel Requirements: Up to 50%
Employment Experience Requirements: 10 plus years of experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
POSTING NOTES: Government Affairs || Corporate