Amtrak Senior Director Lean Enterprise Solutions - 90206812 - Washington in Washington, District Of Columbia
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The Senior Director, Lean Enterprise Solutions (LES) will be responsible for being the lead member of the LES team tasked with developing and leading Amtrak’s lean transformation strategy across the organization. The role will report directly to the Senior VP Operations. She/he will work with the Senior Leadership and members of the LES team to design and execute the continuous improvement strategic plan and ensure financial goals and other performance targets are met or exceeded. The role will have direct and indirect lean experts reporting to it and they themselves will be an expert on lean strategies and applications. The role will be held accountable for the strategy to implement lean practices throughout Amtrak with strong emphasis on Operations. They will ensure that the entire organization focuses on continuous improvement and on waste elimination. They will utilize the appropriate lean techniques including six sigma, theory of constraints (TOC), Kaizen, 5S, and other specific problems solving and continuous improvement tools to ensure that progressively lean is implemented and producing results in improving safety and security, financials, and customer service throughout Amtrak.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
Leading Safe and Secure Operations
Effectively contributes to a safe and secure work environment for employees and travel experience for customers. Demonstrates the necessary leadership ability to support a zero incident and injury culture within Amtrak.
• Organizational Culture Diagnostic Instrument scores for Amtrak
• Safety leading measures: employee-behavioral contact rate and participation rate
• Safety lagging measure: FRA reportable injury rate
• Customer lagging measure: eCSI
1. Develop and Implement Lean Transformation Strategies
As a proven leader, the Sr. Director must demonstrate leadership and initiative. She/he must move quickly to develop and implement plans in line with full support of management, driving for operational excellence, assessing the need for capital investment and reducing operating costs. She/he must develop a standard set of metrics to track operational performance, including the adoption of lean and six sigma tools and techniques, drive operational discipline and promote a culture of continuous improvement and waste elimination. The Sr. Director must identify projects for cost reduction and process improvements across the enterprise, with a particular focus on safety, financials and customer service. Specific focus will be on Operations but the Sr. Director will lead the team to promote and deliver lean solutions across the whole of Amtrak. These initiatives will result in a significant reduction in operating cost without negatively impacting operational performance with safety and customer service. She/he is accountable for delivering results—proposing and agreeing to targets for operational and financial excellence with the businesses and senior leaders and for leading a team of LES experts.
• Three year LES strategy to move the organization to lean (progress to be measured against plan)
• Operational performance scores
• Operating margin
• Safety measures both leading and lagging
• Financial performance improvement
• Inventory Reduction and Improvement in such metrics as Inventory Turns
• Reduction in process costs in operations, procurement, and all processing functions
2. Lead Process Improvement and Lean Initiatives
Utilizing a team of lean experts, the Sr. Director will develop, implement and manage enterprise-wide initiatives driving operational excellence, cost efficiencies and process improvements across the organization, with a particular focus on Operations and as needed across the organization as a whole. Embodying Amtrak's values and leadership philosophy, she/he will provide internal business leaders with excellent service by substantially improving financial excellence and operational performance in the execution of process improvement and lean/six sigma initiatives by applying the appropriate tools and methodologies to deliver results. Ensure that she/he, as well as their team of lean experts, lead and facilitate teams utilizing the appropriate process improvement, lean and six sigma approaches and methodologies to ensure project success.
• Operational improvement performance scores (OTP, eCSI, ITD, and safety metrics)
• Supply chain cost improvement scores (inventory turns, dollars of inventory)
• Financial performance (Operating margin, operating costs, Overtime/straight time hours, etc.)
• Workforce efficiency improvements (OT/ST, labor costs per routes, etc.)
• Capacity and maintenance cost scores (costs of maintenance, other costs as appropriate)
• Stakeholder Satisfaction Results
• Business leaders satisfaction scores (OCDI)
3. Influence Business Leaders and Key Stakeholders
The Sr. Director must initially establish credibility for themselves as an individual and for LES as a whole—rapidly becoming familiar with the organization’s goals and culture, its services and people, gaining the clear confidence of senior management and being recognized as someone who along with her/his team will bring real value. She/he must possess the intellectual horsepower to articulate and communicate the enterprise wide continuous improvement strategy. The Sr. Director must develop business cases and return on investment analyses to improve operating margin and self-fund the lean enterprise team and associated projects. The Sr. Director must assess the need for and directly influence capital investment in the operating divisions to maximize improvement work and the remainder of the organization to promote financial, safety and customer service improvements, based on the principles of continuous improvement and waste elimination. She/he must exhibit patience and resilience in driving a continuous improvement organization mindset and will contribute directly to the Strategic Plans of the operating groups defining the direction that should be taken on operating improvements, addressing items such as technology, process capability, capacity, low cost maintenance and organizational structure while maintaining the highest safety standards.
• Customer satisfaction scores
• Business leaders satisfaction scores
• Financial performance
4. People Leadership and Organization Excellence
As the LES leader, the Sr. Director will have direct oversight of continuous improvement experts and continuous improvement teams by managing, mentoring and coaching, proactively
facilitating and leading. The Sr. Director must act as mentor/teacher to the organization for continuous improvement methodologies in order to cultivate a culture that is always improving itself and focusing on eliminating waste in all forms. She/he must possess an open communicative style that is inspirational and persuasive. The Sr. Director must quickly be able to lead by example and gain the respect and confidence of teams and individuals that she/he directs and interacts with at Amtrak.
• Employee satisfaction scores (OCDI or equivalent)
• Team performance metrics
• Development and performance scores
• Succession Planning metrics
• Team safety metrics
WORK EXPERIENCE :
• Extensive experience required in an operating and customer-focused environment required, with a proven track record in leading and managing teams. Minimum of five years prior management experience.
• Experience in a “for profit” railroad or other company in the transportation, logistics, manufacturing, or hospitality industry at the Senior Manager or Director level that has implemented a continuous improvement program.
• Experience in the implementation of continuous process improvement, lean and/or six sigma methodologies in the operational or customer service environment. Formal training/certification preferred in one or more tools sets.
• Experience effectively interacting with and influencing senior business and functional leaders.
• A proven toolkit of operational excellence methodologies coupled with the ability to implement and drive process improvements down through all levels of the organization to improve efficiency and productivity while eliminating waste.
• Experience implementing effective solutions in a complex environment. This can include multiple plant/site or global oversight of several business units or operating entities.
• Possess the highest values and integrity in work behaviors.
• Effective facilitation, coordination, and interpersonal skills.
• State of the art knowledge of railroad regulations, policies and programs.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently.
• Effective interface and coordination with stakeholders.
• Ability to analyze, interpret, summarize, communicate, and act on quantitative and qualitative data.
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE :
• A proven leadership record in a behavior-based safety culture.
• Past experience in railroading.
• Formal training/certification preferred in one or more continuous improvement tools sets.
• Formal problem solving training in a methodology that follows PDCA logic.
PREFERRED EDUCATION :
MBA or other relevant advanced degree.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS :
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES : Yes
Requisition ID: 24621
Posting Location(s): District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Personnel Area: DC06
Job Family/Function: Transportation
Relocation Offered: Yes
Education Requirements: Bachelors Degree
Travel Requirements: Up to 50%
Employment Experience Requirements: 10 plus years of experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
POSTING NOTES: Transportation || Corporate