HCA, Hospital Corporation of America RN Staff - Recovery Unit - Full Time - Mixed Shifts in West Hills, California
- Age of Patient Population Served:
Newborn (0-1 yr.) Pediatric (1-12 yr.) Adolescent (13-18 yr.) Pregnant Adolescent (13-18 yr.) Adult (18-64 yr.) Geriatric (64 yr.) All Ages
- Provides individualized per-operative care in accordance with standards of nursing practice through implementation of the nursing process and nursing diagnosis.
- Applies knowledge of age specific care, for example: Gearing communication to age level. Providing for communication needs of geriatric patients with identified disabilities (e.g. hearing loss, poor vision) by speaking clearly and providing adequate light as appropriate. By appropriate communication.
- Administers medications as ordered per patient case and demonstrates knowledge of their modes of action, side effects and contraindications.
- Initiates, regulates and otherwise manages IV therapy for a specific group of assigned patients.
- Provides patient care specific and appropriate for all types of patients (pediatrics – elderly for minor and major surgical cases).
- Performs treatments as ordered.
- Provides patient status reports to physicians, resource person and other members of the patient care team.
- Assumes responsibility for patient placement on the unit and assignment of care responsibilities that consider complexity of nursing care required by each patient.
- Demonstrates competence in the clinical knowledge, skills required and technology of the department employed in the care of patients in the unit.
- Documents care performed within the patient record in accordance with facility charting policies and procedures.
- Provides patient education and keeps patient informed of treatment plan.
- Assesses physical and psychosocial status of each patient.
- Treats all patients with respect and is responsive to their needs.
- Evaluates patient environment for safety and communicates identified concerns to the appropriate person in a timely manner.
Informs the appropriate person of unresolved patient concerns or complex patient care problems.
Seeks assistance for clinical situations beyond the experience of the Clinical Nurse.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patient/families in accordance with hospital standards.
- Rotates to Single Day Surgery Recovery area as requested.
- Demonstrates professionalism in the workplace.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested in compliance with state RN licensure.
- Must abide by the HCA Code of Conduct and the West Hills Hospital and Medical Center Standards of Behavior.
*Working Conditions/Hazardous Materials: *
- Primarily work indoors in well-lighted and ventilated rooms.
- Temperature can be variable but primarily constant at a comfortable level.
- Frequent contact with water and other liquids.
- May be subjected to disagreeable odors.
- Hazards include: Risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens (Category I). Communicable diseases. Sharp instruments and contaminated equipment. Exposure to chemicals as listed in the MSDS manual. Frequent contact with fumes, odors, vapors, mists and liquids. May be exposed to abusive and violent behavior. Risk of exposure to radiation.
See attached Physical Job Description
- Work is of medium to heavy physical demand.
- Walking and standing approximately 90% of the time.
- Frequent lifting, pushing pulling, bending, carrying and transporting objects weighing at least 35 pounds. Frequently assists in moving patients (usually on gurney) with and without assistance. May be required to handle heavy equipment.
- Raising or lowering objects from one level to another including upward pushing.
- Frequent stooping, bending, crouching at the knees and waist (downward and forward).
- Frequent reaching and extending hand and arms in any direction.
- Handling, holding, fingering, grasping, and turning objects regularly. Perceiving through feel (fingertips usually) the size, shape, texture and temperature of objects.
- Visual acuity to be able to read instructions and orders and record processes appropriately. Visual acuity with clarity of vision within 20 feet or more and 20 inches or less, depth perception to judge distance and space relationships.
- Function appropriately and effectively under pressure.
- May be required to work other shifts as necessary.
*Education/Certificates/Licenses: *Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state of California. CPR certified in Basic Life Support; ACLS and PALS required. Successfully pass Basic EKG test and Pharmacology test at time of hire. Previous experience in Post Anesthesia Care Nursing is preferred.
- *Language Skills: *Must be able to read, write and speak English. Hear/speak adequately to communicate with and be understood by staff, patients, physicians and general public.
Title: RN Staff - Recovery Unit - Full Time - Mixed Shifts
Location: California-West Hills-West Hills Hospital and Medical Center
Requisition ID: 01554-3386