Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Psychiatrist) in West Palm Beach, Florida
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
5 vacancies in the following location:
- West Palm Beach, FL
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Thursday 4/28/2016 (178 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (68 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1691593
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.**
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
Applicants will be referred as they apply. The first referral date will be Monday, May 9th, 2016. Applicants will then be referred every subsequent Monday thereafter until the vacancies are filled.
The West Palm Beach Veterans Affairs Medical Center is recruiting for several Psychiatrists. The Psychiatrists will perform a variety of functions within Mental Health and Behavioral Science (MH&BS;) Service. This is a full time position which requires at least 40 hours per week. The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Providing psychiatric examination, evaluation, comprehensive psychiatric treatment, consultation and follow up to outpatients and inpatients within the medical center and in the outlying clinics, as well as, making referrals to other providers and services and collaborating with other providers in a multidisciplinary setting.
- Participating in patient satisfaction, quality assurance and utilization programs, including but not limited to peer reviews, open and closed record reviews, clinical pertinence reviews, morbidity and mortality reviews, and intensive reviews (Root Cause Analyses) and responding to patient advocate requests, Congressional inquiries and other quality of care/patient satisfaction reviews, as assigned.
- Serving as the psychiatric liaison throughout the continuum of care between clinical and administrative services and other health care facilities with the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) and the community at large.
- Providing comprehensive psychiatric treatment to patients assigned to providers in other services.
- Providing additional psychiatric opinions to other psychiatrists in the MH&BS; Service when assigned/requested, including participation in case conferences and regular interdisciplinary treatment plan meetings.
- Coordinating preventative health care needs according to guidelines and performance measures established by the Department of Veterans Affairs and sound psychiatric practice.
- Maintaining an active knowledge of the patient care processes of the Department of Veterans Affairs, VISN 8, the West Palm Beach VA Medical Center, the Mental Health and Behavioral Science Service, and its clinics.
- Performing on-call duties as assigned on nights, weekends and holidays per rotating schedules.
- Providing video teleconferencing for mental health evaluation, consultation and treatment (to outlying clinics).
- Providing E-consults to providers requesting Mental Health consultation.
- Providing mentoring to new psychiatrists joining the service in order to update them on VA procedures.
- Providing collaboration with mid-level providers as indicated.
Work Schedule:*Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., may include evening, weekends, holidays and on-call.Functional Statement Title/#:*Physician (Psychiatrist)/#000000
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
Basic Requirements*: *
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following requirements:
- U.S Citizenship (Non-citizens may be appointed only if it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens).
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.
- Completion of first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in any State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Board eligible or certified (strongly preferred) in Psychiatry.
- Ability to perform all duties of a general psychiatrist, including psychiatric evaluations, psychotherapy, psychopharmacological treatment, emergency room and hospital psychiatric consults, hospital admissions and supervision ancillary staff as appropriate.
- Ability to work comfortably in a team setting including multidisciplinary staff in an outpatient or inpatient setting.
- Ability to mentor and teach medical students, and residents.
- Experience in inpatient, outpatient, emergency and medical surgical setting psychiatric clinical program.
- Experience with electronic medical records.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard.* *This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Standing, walking, lifting light loads, assisting patients with positioning and transfers. Must be able to use a computer to input orders, review reports, etc. Must be able to communicate directions and patient orders.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
Applicants will be referred as they apply. The first referral date will be Monday, May 9, 2016. Applicants will then be referred every subsequent Monday thereafter until the vacancy is filled.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice:VHA physician brochure*.*
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.**
Salary Range: $100,957.00 to $240,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens (Non-U.S. Citizens May Be Appointed Only If It Is Not Possible To Recruit Qualified U.S. Citizens)
Control Number: 437312900
Job Announcement Number: WF-16-MB-MHC-1691593-BU-SR