Indian Health Service Medical Officer (Family Medicine), GS-0602-13/14/15 - Direct Hire in Whiteriver, Arizona
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Whiteriver, AZ
Work Schedule is Multiple Schedules - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Wednesday 11/11/2015 (350 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 11/10/2016 (15 day(s) away)
Position are filled as vacancies occur This is a Direct Hire Open Continuous Announcement (OCA)for anticipated or future vacancies. Candidates with a complete application may be considered for positions that match the desired job preferences. Positions may be filled at anyof the grade levels indicated in this announcement, with or without promotion potential, as vacancies occur.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Accredited by The Joint Commission, the Whiteriver PHS Indian Hospital is a 40-bed hospital and provides ambulatory and inpatient services for 17,000 White Mountain Apache Tribal Members and 4,000 Native Americans living in the surrounding areas. The Cibecue Health Center, located 50 miles northwest of Whiteriver, provides outpatient, urgent care, dental, and community health services to 1,800 residents of Cibecue and Carrizo.
The Medical Officer (Family Medicine) will work for the Indian Health Service at the Whiteriver Service Unit in Whiteriver, Arizona.
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: U.S. Citizens, Current and Former competitive service Federal employees, active U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, Indian Preference and Veteran Preference candidates.
APPOINTMENT: Positions may be filled as Permanent, Term or Temporary appointments.
WORK SCHEDULE: Positions may be filled as Full-time, Part-time, or Intermittent work schedules.
BONUS: Bonus (Recruitment or Relocation) may or may not be authorized and is subject to availability and service unit approval. If offered, you will be required to sign a service agreement and failure to fulfill the service agreement may result in repayment of the bonus.
GOVERNMENT HOUSING: Government quarters may be available depending on occupancy.
- Responsible for the practice of medicine or direct service to patients that involve the performance of diagnostic, preventative, or therapeutic services in hospitals and clinics.
- Prescribe or administer treatment, therapy, medication, vaccination, and other specialized medical care to treat, prevent illness, disease, or injury.
- Order, perform, and intepret tests and analyze records, reports, and examination information to diagnose patients conditions.
- Collect, record, and maintain patient informaton such as medical history, reports, and examination results. Experience with Electronic Health Records (EHR) is preferred.
- Monitor progress of patient condition and re-evaluate treatment, as necessary.
- Explain procedures and discuss test results or prescribed treatments with patients.
- Refer patients to medical specialists or other practitioners when necessary.
- Coordinate work with nurses, pharmacists, social workers, and other allied health professionals in the porvision of a variety of health services.
- Occasional Travel
- Maybe required to travel to Cibecue Health Center
- Moving expenses may or may not be authorized and is subject to availability and service unit approval. If offered, you will be required to sign a 1 year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: All physicians must meet all three of the following basic requirements:
1. Degree - Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicant's graduation. A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country.
2. Graduate Training Subsequent to Degree - 1 year of supervised experience providing direct service in a clinical setting, i.e., 1 year internship or the first year of a residency program. This graduate training must by approved by accrediting bodies recognized within the U.S. or Canada.
3. Licensure - Active, unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: In addition to the above, physicians must also meet the following requirements for the GS-13 level and above.
- GS-13: 3 years of residency training in Family Medicine OR have equivalent training and work experience in Family Medicine that demonstrates the ability to provide patient care of an average difficulty and responsibility. Typically completion of full formal residency training (at least 3 years) required by specialty board or progressive experience equivalent in breadth and intensity.
- GS-14: 4 years of residency training in Family Medicine OR have equivalent training and work experience in Family Medicine (e.g., a specialist with 1-2 years of experience beyond residency training) that demonstrates the ability to provide patient care of a very difficult and responsible level.
- GS-15: 5 years of residency training in Family Medicine OR have equivalent training and work experience in Family Medicine (e.g., a senior specialist with 3-4 years of experience beyond residency training) that demonstrates the ability to provide patient care of an extremely difficult and responsible level.
Final Year Residents: Applications will be accepted from applicants who are in their final year of residency and expected to complete their residency training within the next 12 months. Such applicants are required to provide evidence of meeting all position requirements before they can enter on duty.
- Immunization against Measles and Rubella required; influenza vaccine is recommended.
- 1 year probationary period for initial appointment to Federal service.
- May work Alternative work schedule to provide continuity of service
- Position covered by P.L. 101-630, Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act..
- Must have a viable back account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit salary payment.
- Must obtain and maintain clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse action, up to and including removal from the Federal Service.
If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints.
After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
This is a Direct Hire Open Continuous Announcement. Multiple position types may be filled from this announcement during the term of the open period. Qualified applicants will be referred at the request of the selecting official upon a vacancy. Those candidates who have complete application packets on file as of each request date will receive full consideration for the vacant position. Your name will be referred to those positions that match your job preferences.
Your application will remain active for three months after date of receipt by this office. It will be removed from consideration after the three months have lapsed and placed in an inactive file. If you want further consideration, after this period, then you must re-apply to the announcement and update any application documents as required.
- You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Payandbenefits.
- Annual continuing education available at most sites.
- No-cost malpractice coverage.
Less than Full-time Work Schedules: Part-time employees pay a proportionately higher premium for benefits than full-time employees. Additionally, earned annual and sick leave balances will be pro-rated based upon the number of hours worked. Intermittent employees are not eligible for either health or life insurance coverage (subject to specific conditions) and do not accrue sick or annual leave. In addition, intermittent and part-time schedules (less than 20 hours per week) are ineligible for Title 38 salary; will defer to Title 5 rates.
Non-Permanent Appointments: Agency has option of extending non-permanent appointments term appointment may be extended up to a maximum to four years and temporary appointments may be extended up to a maximum of two years.
Loan Repayment Program (LRP): The Indian Health Service (IHS) and the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit:** For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/index.cfm For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/
IHS Operated Properties are Tobacco Free
Salary Range: $98,967.00 to $215,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0602-13/15
Promotion Potential: 15
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 417607800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-PX-1517621-DHA