BNY Mellon Counsel – EMEA Legal Poland in Wroclaw, Poland
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments & safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.
As part one of the safest and most trusted financial institutions, the BNY Mellon Legal department mitigates risk and handles legal affairs to ensure the security of the company and its clients. BNY Mellon's Legal Department, has overall responsibility for government affairs and advises on advocacy and policy initiatives of the company to support BNY Mellon's domestic and international operations, and they also support all bank regulatory and supervisory issues.
As the sole representative of EMEA Legal based in Poland, your role will be to provide legal advice and support to the BNY Mellon entity and businesses located in Poland from our growing Wroclaw office. As a part of the global Legal Department, you will be responsible for, among other duties, ensuring that BNY Mellon in Poland fulfils its legal obligations, particularly in respect of services/activities outsourced to Wroclaw.
You will coordinate work with other lawyers in the EMEA Legal department, and jurisdictional specific lawyers, to deliver a high standard of legal advice that is tailored to BNY Mellon’s business models.
The position involves:
• Advising business and management on banking and financial law/regulation relevant to the Polish entity and business operations, including the relevant outsourced activities;
• Advising management on corporate law and corporate governance and acting as company secretary;
• Advising/supporting senior management and operational areas in relation to regulatory and strategic change, including feasibility studies in relation to outsourcing to Poland;
• Providing advice in relation to corporate or local policies;
• Involvement with the business on projects which have a legal/regulatory aspect;
• Representing Legal and actively participating in governance bodies, business steering committees and working groups;
• Supporting strategic business initiatives in providing effective and timely legal advice and in drafting any legal documentation;
• Supporting EMEA Legal Employment practice area in identification and resolution of any HR (i.e. employment, compensation and benefits and immigration law) related matters around the Polish operations;
• Supporting IP/IT & Social Media Legal practice area in drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts with vendors related to the Polish operations and assisting with data protection matters;
• Advising and preparing documentation in relation to internal and external outsourcing;
• Advising generally on a wide range of commercial matters;
• Supporting the instruction and management of external counsel, (including assistance with analysis and collation of advice from such counsel);
• Assistance with the development of formal training sessions for business colleagues on relevant topics; and
• Supporting knowledge sharing within the legal team.
Key relationships / stakeholders:
• Wroclaw GDC Site Executive
• EMEA Legal Head of Asset Servicing
• EMEA Legal Head of Continent
• EMEA Legal Head of Ireland/AIS
• EMEA Head of Office of the Corporate Secretary;
• EMEA Head of Employment;
• EMEA Head of IP/IT
• Wroclaw based business management (and wider team members)
• Board of Directors;
• EMEA Compliance & Risk Management – including local Compliance Manager in Poland; and
• Wider legal team.
The successful candidate will have at least 5 years work experience in a law firm and/or legal department of a financial institution. They will also have, amongst other technical skills and experience:
• Qualified to act as a lawyer in Poland;
• Fluent in English (written & oral);
• Familiarity with current legal, regulatory and market trends and initiatives impacting Poland; and
• Strong knowledge of the financial services & banking industry and regulation.
The candidate should also have:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Excellent drafting and negotiation skills;
• Strong organisational skills;
• Adept problem solving skills – ability to identify practical solutions;
• Flexible and adaptable working style to react to demanding workload and changing priorities;
• Self-motivation to drive delivery against objectives – ability to work autonomously;
• Customer orientation & specifically a willingness to learn and to cultivate good working relationships with internal clients;
• Experience in balancing commercial flexibility and risk management; and
• A willingness to work as part of a team and help out on all matters.
What we can offer you
• Challenging, multicultural and supportive working environment;
• Stable career with high growth opportunities in widely recognized Company;
• Opportunities to engage in diverse projects due to growth of business migrations;
• Highly competitive benefits package including private medical cover and group life insurance; and
• Sports, Social and Charity events.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.*
Primary Location:* Poland-Dolnoslaskie-Wroclaw
Internal Jobcode:* 50184
Organization:* Legal Affairs-HR06241
Requisition Number:* 1607411