Indian Health Service Clinical Nurse in Zuni, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Zuni, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 9/30/2016 (23 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/24/2016 (1 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-AQ-1806965-ESEP/MP for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
This position is located at the Zuni Service Unit, Division of Nursing Services, Department of Outpatient/Emergency Room, Zuni, New Mexico, under the supervision of the Supervisory Clinical Nurse. The purpose of this position is to provide professional nursing care to patients requiring urgent and emergency care. Performs the full range of assessments, initiates plan of care, perform urgent and emergency nursing procedures. This position is required to work on rotating night shifts, weekends, holidays and occasional days.
Area of Consideration: All Sources
Amendment 1, 10-21-2016: Extend closing date from 10-21-2016 due to scheduled system downtime.
- Provides urgent and emergency nursing care in the Urgent care and Emergency Room setting. In the absence of a physician determines and implements proper emergency measures. Monitor and assess patient's condition while enroute and provides Hand Off report to the receiving facility.
- Assess and observe all patients presenting to the urgent care/emergency room and triages based on history, physical assessment and chief complaint. Determines and implements appropriate nursing interventions. Provides educational services to the patient and family.
- Performs specialized procedures related to clinical practice, i.e., assisting with conscious sedation, rapid sequence intubation, lumbar puncture, remicade infusion, arterial puncture, cryotherapy, initiating standing orders for immunizations, etc. Administers therapeutic measures as prescribed, i.e., medication administration, treatments, intravenous fluids, blood transfusions, other diagnostic and therapeutic interventions.
- Operates, monitors, and maintains patient care equipment; cardiac monitor/defibrillator, auto vent ventilators, hypo/hyperthermia unit, infusion pumps, EKG recorders, suction devises, glucose monitors, pulse oximetry, etc.
- Works a regular assigned or rotational schedule to provide continuity of services during night shift, weekends, including holidays and an occasional day shift coverage.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel is required to transport patients to other health care facilities.
- Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accredited agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements: Applicants must have had 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level OR 2 full years of professionally higher level graduate education or a master's or equivalent degree.
Evaluation of Experience: Experience must have equipped the applicant with particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. At the GS-9 level, many positions require experience in a specialty area of nursing.
Professional Nurse Experience: Experience in providing complete assessments of patients of all ages from neonate to geriatric requiring routine care of a non-critical nature to a variety of trauma and emergency conditions; triages as to the nature of health problems and initiates care; administers medications, operates specialized equipment and responds to emergency situations. This experience may have been gained in hospitals, clinics, urgent care or emergency room settings.
SELECTIVE FACTOR: In addition to the qualification requirements, to be rated basically qualified for the position, applicants must demonstrate possession of the following: Verification of current, valid, active, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States is required when filling all positions for registered nurses at all levels.
PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE (PHS) LICENSURE POLICY: Each PHS Nurse must possess and maintain a current valid, active State licensure/registration as a professional nurse.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Monday, October 24, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
- Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
- The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/For NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/ For HRSA Nurse Corps - http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- This position work a regular assigned or rotational schedule to provide continuity of services during night shift, weekends, including holidays and an occasional day shift coverage.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $69,936.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens; PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply to the merit promotion announcement in order to receive consideration.
Control Number: 452043800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-AQ-1806966-DH